About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#22307 03/13/01 11:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
JazzO's question may be pointed out in the answer to this: What "German" letters are representing the rest of the 1/2 steps? (I know not OF "them".)

#22308 03/14/01 01:31 AM
R
R
Max,

Where did the "GR" appear and on what uniform? Was it the one most people know best, the red serge (the dress uniform with the red jacket) or was it the working uniform (standard police look - greyish shirt, black gun belt)? You are right that it should be bilingual. A thought struck me though, perhaps it is latin? Our coins have D.G. Regina for Dea Gratia Regina (Latin is not my forte so apologies for any misspelling) or, in English, by the grace of God queen. Perhaps it could be George Rex in honour of the sovereign when their name was changed from the Royal Northwest Mounted Police to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in 1920.

#22309 03/14/01 01:44 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Where did the "GR" appear and on what uniform?

The jackets were what are called windbreakers here, and were being worn by officers executing a search for suspected terrorists. The jackets looked very similar to the ones so often seen with ATF, or FBI emblazoned across the back, except that these had GRC. It was only my fascination with the trivial, and delight at figuring the letters out, that caused me to note the absence of an English equivalent.

#22310 03/14/01 02:18 AM
R
R
I think that might explain it. If it was involving the suspected terrorist currently on trial in LA the raid you saw took place in Montreal. My guess, is that the jackets come in either English, French, or both. Since in any case they would have POLICE (a bilingual word) on them as well so it probably isn't an issue.

In the same way, the Canadian Forces jackets have either Canadian Forces or Forces canadiennes but not both.

Since you mentioned bilingual, the government used a rather smart workaround to make its web addresses bilingual. It seems most US government addresses are something.gov. In Canada the homepage is www.gc.ca. Perfectly bilingual: Government of Canada or Gouvernement du Canada.

#22311 03/14/01 02:27 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
If it was involving the suspected terrorist currently on trial in LA the raid you saw took place in Montreal. My guess, is that the jackets come in either English, French, or both

That's what I figured, except that the raid, almost six months ago now, was definitely in Ottawa. I never got to see the fronts of the jackets, which undoubtedly had the delightfully bilingual "police" on them, but I guess that you don't want people having to stop and decipher two sets of letters on somebody's jacket in the middle of a crisis situation!

#22312 03/14/01 01:39 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I guess that you don't want people having to stop and decipher two sets of letters on somebody's jacket in the middle of a crisis situation!

We (or at least I) don't really decipher, as such, we are just used to seeing both English and French form (in many cases, not just the RCMP). So whether I see RCMP or GRC, I think cops, if that makes any sense. Just like whether I see "milk" or "lait" I know I can put in on my cereal.

And it's a habit that if you pick up a container of something and attempt to read the label, and you don't understand it right off the bat, then you turn it over, looking for the English side (or French, depending!). This makes things really complicated when the package is from another country (for example, my husband's Norwegian handcream) - you turn it around several times before you realize there isn't ANYTHING on it in English!

#22313 03/14/01 02:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What "German" letters are representing the rest of the 1/2 steps?

Eb is called Es, sometimes interpreted as S. This is seen in B-A-C-H style themes based on other peoples names. No good examples off hand.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,374
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith