Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#22111 03/20/01 09:52 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Because I am ignorant of opera, I was amused a long time ago to read an essay with the epigram "When music was married to immortal verse, she committed a horrible mesalliance.

With respect to these partners, opera may be less a marriage than a strained cohabitation. Still, it does have at least one happy, if neglected union of the two. I once studied a little of the first act recitative from Don Giovanni and was surprised to discover how lovely these simple bridges can be. While I might not pay to hear an entire evening of them, I've spent several pleasant hours beginning to understand what they are.

As to the different rhythms of languages, Wow, you might have fun comparing the German rendition of Dr. Bartolo's aria from The Marriage of Figaro with the Italian original. Seraphim has an old recording in German with Walter Berry, Hermann Prey, [Elizabeth Schwarzkopf], and Edith Mathis.

#22112 03/20/01 11:02 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
A German friend, whose wife sang in various choirs back home in Germany, told me that the various foreign members of the choirs (I think he said Japanese but I may be wrong there) could sing in perfect unaccented German, but had very thick foreign accents whenever they were speaking. Has anyone had similar experiences with people singing in languages not their own?

Bingley

Bingley
#22113 03/20/01 01:03 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
A German friend, whose wife sang in various choirs back home in Germany, told me that the various foreign members of the choirs (I think he said Japanese but I may be wrong there) could sing in perfect unaccented German, but had very thick foreign accents whenever they were speaking. Has anyone had similar experiences with people singing in languages not their own?

I have a friend who sings in the Newfoundland Symphony Choir, or something like that, and apparently the director is always giving them hell for singing with a Newfie accent. What I gather from this is that speakers of some languages are better able to cross over than others.

#22114 03/20/01 01:24 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just tossing this into the mix :
People who stutter when speaking can usually sing without any stutter at all.
There's an old joke about a stuttering sailor singing a message to the ship's Captain ....
Anyone able to dredge it up from memory?
wow

#22115 03/20/01 02:17 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I don't know the joke wow, but your comment about stuttering relates back to the language acquisition and processing thread. Apparently, song lyrics are stored in or processed by the music center of the brain rather than the language center, permitting people like Mel Tillis to sing beautifully although they cannot utter three words in succession. I wonder whether poetry is similarly separated from general language processing. The tendency of early literature to be in poem suggests interesting possibilities regarding neurological development.

Speaking of which -- has anyone else read the fascinating The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind? (Or something like that ... speaking of the breakdown of minds)

#22116 03/20/01 04:03 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Accents in singing vs. in speaking

Au contraire, mon frère; my experience is the opposite. I sing in the choir at my church (a cathedral). They do fairly well with Latin, and not too bad with German, but last year we sang the Cantique de Jean Racine (in French) and even after I wrote out the words in phonetic fashion and went over them several times, the way it came out would make a cow laugh (as far as the pronunciation is concerned -- the musical effect was divine.)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith