Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I'd like to suggest 'herm' for either him or her, and herms for hers or his, or the possessive without an apostrophe.
This would be not only a logical replacement for the clumsy plural 'their' when referring to a singular someone, but lexically apt, since a herm is a) a bust of Hermes (Mercury), the god of communication, raised as a boundary marker, or b) a person with both testes and ovaries.
I know we SAY 'their(s)' and it's understood as either singular or plural, but that's colloquial. In a court of law it can be significantly misleading to say 'their(s)' when the sex and number of suspects is unknown.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In the court of law it's OK to be clumsy and awkward as long as you*'re very clear about what you* mean. In normal language invented ways of handling the singular they situation are traditionally very unsuccessful. Standard singular they, however has been with the language for a long, long time, and is generally less subject to ambiguity than singular you.

*Singular or plural you.

J
veteran
veteran
J

You quibble a problem long ago solved.
And when I say "you" I mean "you all".

old hand
old hand
What bothers me when someone uses the singular they is that they uses the plural verb form. If they wants to keep the language as clear and logical as it is now, they has to be consistent in their singular-plural inflections – you get what I'm saying? And one chao in the language could lead to chaos everywhere!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
While the "you-all" strategy certainly works if it is applied universally (which it doesn't; other strategies, such as "you guys" or "yinz" are used in other areas of the country, and "you-all" has been spotted in the wild being used as a singular) it has not been accepted in Standard English.

A similar strategy to Tromboniator's 3rd person singular verb with singular "they" was used in the early days of singular "you". It did not last. The verb form has followed the pronoun and not the person and number of the pronoun.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
bring back thou, thee, thine and the tribe

----please, draw me a sheep----
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Faldage
While the "you-all" strategy certainly works if it is applied universally (which it doesn't; other strategies, such as "you guys" or "yinz" are used in other areas of the country, and "you-all" has been spotted in the wild being used as a singular) has not been accepted in Standard English.

Really now, Faldage? If you have spotted "you all" used as a singular (as you say) "in the wild" then apparently the boys were funning with poor Mister Faldage. And -as you well know- Standard English is not standard universally, now is it? smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: jenny jenny

Really now, Faldage? If you have spotted "you all" used as a singular (as you say) "in the wild" then apparently the boys were funning with poor Mister Faldage. And -as you well know- Standard English is not standard universally, now is it? smile

Or either that or my sources are more widely spread than are yours, one. And, while there may be any number of Standard Englishes few, if any, recognize "you-all" or "y'all" as card-carrying members of their league.

Faldage #214724 04/15/14 01:15 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

My spies tell me there are places where "Y'all" is standard second person singular; if you mean plural, it's "Y'all all".

J
veteran
veteran
J

Now listen up, boyz, you don't need no interjecting apostrophe to indicate any missing letters when using the plural term "yall" so don't clutter up your scripts with useless marks. If the need arises to futher pluralize this plural use the term "all yall".

frown Sometimes I think the problem with american yankees is that you all think that all of your thoughts are worthy just because you all think that you are. smirk

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith