Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
DISPLACEMENT: CULTURAL CONTROL OF EVOLUTION

Genetic evolution can be fast or s l o w but when it is fast it is still too slow to protect us from the immediacy of a colliding Comet or from the alternating periods of extreme climate changes during glacial times like those of today.

But what good luck! Those pre-adapted pre-humans (us) evolved words and our isolated words quickly evolved into languages and our languages quickly evolved into cultures and all cultures begin to evolve (those that haven't already died out) and are evolving today. Get it?

Some cultures are bad and some are good, with good and bad being determined by the culture's survival.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just some first lines from Noam Chomsky's 'Hegemony or Survival'

"Priorities and Prospects

A few years ago, one of the great figures of contemporary biology, Ernst Mayr, published some reflections on the likelihood of success in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.
He considered the prospects very low. His reasoning had to do with the adaptive value of what we call "higher intelligence," meaning the particular human form of intellectual organization. Mayr estimated the number of species since the origin of life
at about fifty billion, only one of which "achieved the kind of intelligence needed to establish a civilization." It did so very recently, perhaps 100,000 years ago. It is generally assumed that only one small breeding group survived, of which we are all descendants. Mayr speculated that the human form of intellectual organization may not be favored by selection. The history of life on Earth, he wrote, refutes the claim that "it is better to be
smart than to be stupid," at least judging by biological success: beetles and bacteria, for example, are vastly more successful than humans in terms of survival. He also made the rather somber observation that "the average life expectancy of a species is about 100,000 years." We are entering a period of human history that may provide an answer to the question of whether it is better to be smart than stupid. The most hopeful prospect is that the question will not be answered: if it receives a definite answer, that answer can only be that humans were a kind of "biological error," using their allotted 100,000 years to destroy themselves and, in the process, much else. The species has surely developed the capacity to do just that, and a hypothetical extraterrestrial observer might well conclude that humans have
demonstrated that capacity throughout their history, dramatically in the past few hundred years, with an assault on the environment that sustains life, on the diversity of more complex organisms, and with cold and calculated savagery, on each other as well."

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Just some first lines from Noam Chomsky's 'Hegemony or Survival'
A few years ago, one of the great figures of contemporary biology, Ernst Mayr, published some reflections on the likelihood of success in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.
He considered the prospects very low. His reasoning had to do with the adaptive value of what we call "higher intelligence," meaning the particular human form of intellectual organization. Mayr estimated the number of species since the origin of life
at about fifty billion, only one of which "achieved the kind of intelligence needed to establish a civilization." It did so very recently, perhaps 100,000 years ago. It is generally assumed that only one small breeding group survived, of which we are all descendants. Mayr speculated that the human form of intellectual organization may not be favored by selection. The history of life on Earth, he wrote, refutes the claim that "it is better to be
smart than to be stupid," at least judging by biological success: beetles and bacteria, for example, are vastly more successful than humans in terms of survival. He also made the rather somber observation that "the average life expectancy of a species is about 100,000 years." We are entering a period of human history that may provide an answer to the question of whether it is better to be smart than stupid. The most hopeful prospect is that the question will not be answered: if it receives a definite answer, that answer can only be that humans were a kind of "biological error," using their allotted 100,000 years to destroy themselves and, in the process, much else. The species has surely developed the capacity to do just that, and a hypothetical extraterrestrial observer might well conclude that humans have
demonstrated that capacity throughout their history, dramatically in the past few hundred years, with an assault on the environment that sustains life, on the diversity of more complex organisms, and with cold and calculated savagery, on each other as well."

Doctors Noam Chomsky and Enrst Mayr both seem to have a poor, and less than scientific, opinion of mankind and of, therefore, themselves.

Notwithstanding the egoic pronouncements given above, their understanding of man's Evolution is more indicative of their own cultural funk than any insight into man's role in nature.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
pot - kettle?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sure Jenny Jenny, but isn't it wonderful to read just a few lines by someone who knows how to write? Clear and understandable, no matter whether one agrees or not?

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu
pot - kettle?

No Buffalo,

Jenny Jenny - day
Mayr and Chomsky -night

Especially Chomsky. Chomsky is a phoney prophet who pontificates yesterday's politics and a contrived explanation of language to pseudo-intellectual tenured teenyboppers.

As for me I will kindly summerize and conclude my thoughts about Language, Mankind and Evolution here tommorow. smile

*Yes, BranShe, you do have a point. But let me me be clear: So did Marx and 100 million people have been murdered because of his clear words afterwards.

Last edited by jenny jenny; 09/24/13 03:52 PM. Reason: to answer BranShea
old hand
old hand
I will kindly summerize and conclude my thoughts about Language, Mankind and Evolution here tommorow

Looking forward to it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: jenny jenny

As for me I will kindly summerize and conclude my thoughts about Language, Mankind and Evolution here tommorow. smile

Indeed. The chill of winter is coming here in the North. We could use with a little summerizing.

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Faldage

Indeed. The chill of winter is coming here in the North. We could use with a little summerizing.

laugh

Say, Fallacy, do you up North find your amusements in misspellings?
Gee, Faldo, how often you must giggle. smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So did Marx and 100 million people have been murdered because of his clear words afterwards.
I wouldn't know Jenny Jenny. I never read him. Did you? Millions of people have been killed for millions of reasons. Take a trip through history.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith