Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#20938 03/06/01 06:15 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I saw an illustrative sentence in a "wordplay" book (or maybe it was in a usage book) several years ago and the first point of the sentence(which was about 10 to 12 words long) was that it it made "sense" with a comma after the first word. Then the comma was placed after the second word, at which point the meaning was changed, but the sentence still made sense. Then the comma was moved to the third word, with the same type of resulting changes, and so on until the comma was placed after the penultimate word of the sentence,with the meaning still changing and the sentence still making sense. It was a most perfect illustration of the importance of punctuation and how it affects the meaning of a sentence. The problem is that I cannot remember where I saw it, although I know it is in a book which I own. I'll keep looking, but meantime, if anyone knows of this sentence or can find it through the usual or unusual sources, please advise or post it up.

BTW, as lawyers, perhaps more than most, are well aware, the placement of a comma in a contract -particularly in an insurance policy - is often the difference beween winning and losing a case. Case law is replete with instances of judges seeking to decipher (Construe) intent from the presence or absence of a comma or from its placement in the sentence. Enough, for me, about commas for now. Let's reserve discussion about the "Oxford comma/Harvard comma" until another day.

Here's another challenge. Punctuate the following sentences. Simultaneous note and hint. The joke (It's a bit dodgey and very, very old) only works with "American" punctuation, not, e.g. British "full stop". Here are the sentences.
Fun Fun Fun Worry Worry Worry
This one, Bobyoungblatt, dates from the era when we were in college.

#20939 03/06/01 08:18 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Fun, just once, can lead to worry,worry,worry.

#20940 03/06/01 08:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Makes you wonder what the Elizabethans did, before the rules of punctuation settled themselves.

Just finished a book, Alphabet to Email: How Written English Evolved and Where It's Heading, by Naomi S. Baron, that covers questions like this. The short answer is that the rules of punctuation still haven't settled themselves. There are basically two schools of thought about punctuation. The grammatical and the rhetorical. The rhetorical, punctuate to indicate the breaths taken while reading aloud, came first since the primary purpose of punctuation was to aid in the out loud reading of texts. More later, I gotta go.

#20941 03/07/01 05:26 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Was it Peter Sellers who recorded the song "What is this thing called love?" putting the emphasis on each word in turn, and changing the meaning of the sentence each time. And was it a takeoff of Larry Olivier's voice? It's many years since I last heard this track.

#20942 03/07/01 01:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[deep bow of homage emoticon]
Scribbler, taking yours and my lovely Bill's hints, I offer the following. I notice you did not specify how many sentences.

Fun! Fun!? Fun??? Worry? Worry?! Worry!!!

My sweet paulb, I checked a lyrics site--one only out of many--and found three albums listed as having Peter Sellers
singing. Only one was all him, though, and not any of the songs was "What is this thing called love". I miss you.

An edited note: I really do not have a clue as to why my
posts are so oddly spaced. They look normal when I type them.

#20943 03/07/01 01:39 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Time for the answer to the punctuation challenge.
Remember that this was going around in the late 50s. Seems very dated and corny in these days but is appropriate to the topic. The answer:

Fun(Period)Fun(Period)Fun(NO period!)Worry! Worry! Worry!
As I hinted for British readers, "Full stop" doesn't work in this case.

#20944 03/09/01 11:01 AM
B
addict
addict
B
I vaguely remember the existence of one that could be taken as a male chauvinist rant when punctuated one way and as a sharp feminist rebuttal when punctuated another.

Woman without her man is nothing.

Woman - without her, man is nothing.

#20945 03/09/01 11:10 AM
B
addict
addict
B
{blue]There isn't any punctuation in Asiatic languages, like Chinese, Japanese, Hindi, etc. is there? Obviously they manage. Perhaps some of our Asian experts can enlighten us.

I'll leave the Hindi to someone else!

Modern Chinese and modern Japanese both have punctuation. Classical Chinese (I don't know about classical Japanese either) didn't. This combined with miscopying, as in the Western world, to create different interpretations of the same work and keep lots of scholars busy.

Different issue, but a lot of classical Chinese poetry gains power by what to Westerners appears to be imprecision. Not knowing the subject of the verb, or whether nouns are singular or plural. 'Mountain hear person voice.' No idea how many mountains, how many people, who hears the voice. If you can forget to worry about all that you can concentrate instead on a reaction to the sound of humanity against the vastness of nature. A whole image that no single English translation can really get at.
(In case you hadn't got it, the classical poetry was a part of my course I really loved )

#20946 03/09/01 11:11 AM
B
addict
addict
B
There isn't any punctuation in Asiatic languages, like Chinese, Japanese, Hindi, etc. is there? Obviously they manage. Perhaps some of our Asian experts can enlighten us.

I'll leave the Hindi to someone else!

Modern Chinese and modern Japanese both have punctuation. Classical Chinese (I don't know about classical Japanese either) didn't. This combined with miscopying, as in the Western world, to create different interpretations of the same work and keep lots of scholars busy.

Different issue, but a lot of classical Chinese poetry gains power by what to Westerners appears to be imprecision. Not knowing the subject of the verb, or whether nouns are singular or plural. 'Mountain hear person voice.' No idea how many mountains, how many people, who hears the voice. If you can forget to worry about all that you can concentrate instead on a reaction to the sound of humanity against the vastness of nature. A whole image that no single English translation can really get at.
(In case you hadn't got it, the classical poetry was a part of my course I really loved )

#20947 03/09/01 11:34 AM
old hand
old hand
Hey Bob

I'm making this up here, but classical Sanskrit too, like Greek and Latin, was an inflected language, was highly agglutinative (like German?) and therefor word order, and punctuation, were not critically important for meaning.

In modern day Hindi, however, most Roman punctuation is used, though in place of a full stop (or period), Hindi usually sticks to the traditional vertical line '|'

Other Northern Indian languages (of the Indo-European family) have, to a greater or lesser degree, adopted punctuation.

Sanskrit, in its earliest days, was almost invariably written (or rather composed, orally) in verse (the shloka, allegedly invented by Valmiki so as to enable him to tell the tale of the Ramayana), so with the lines well end-stopped, meaning was relatively clear without the need for elaborate punctuation.

That's about the limit of my knowledge (and I've made up most of it)

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,367
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 653 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith