Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
P
addict
addict
P
Thanks, but no thanks, AnnaS! That would be too much! After suffering spasmodically for some 20 years, I seem now to be relatively free of the "tendency to gout", as it is wittily called. Are you one of the brotherhood too, Rhu?

But I can recommend waterbeds -- had one for many years -- great in the Tasmanian winters.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
No, I've managed to steer clear of gout, I'm happy to say. I heard, when I was young, that it was caused by drinking too much port, so I only drink the finest port available, and therefore can't afford to drink enough to get gout.

However, I encourage my female companions to imbibe the drink, on the old sailor's principle of "a port in every girl."

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
[eyeing-water-bed-possessively-as-she-decides-on-offers emoticon]

What exactly is gout, anyway? I thought it was one of those old-fashioned diseases....

And Jo, get yo' good se'f in here and straighten all this out, please, as only y'all're capable of doin', darlin' Thankee kandly.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>And Jo, get yo' good se'f in here and straighten all this out, please ...

I think it is OK, AnnaS. I'd never make it into the police. I get the impression that this is all going a bit wonky so people can use up all their dissident tendancies and save all their good behaviour for THE BIG DAY.

By the way, is everyone quite convinced that Anu never reads any of this stuff? It's a bit like planning a surprise party. I think we need a code-name, so he won't be able to find us by searching on "Anu" or "party". How about "water bed" as the code word, he'll never work that one out ... unless he reads this post ... mutter, mutter

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

What exactly is gout, anyway?

There is a substance called purine, which we get in our bloodstreams from foodstuffs such as red wine, pork, offal, and shellfish. Most people excrete it reasonably effectively in their urine. Unfortunately some of us don't do this so well for genetic reasons and the purine forms crystals which lodge around joints, most commonly those in the big toe but the ankles are another trouble spot. This is gout. The best preventives are to avoid purine rich foods and to drink lots of water. There is also medicine you can take to increase purine excretion during an attack. A bad toothache, I assure you, is absolutely nothing in comparison.

Bingley

Bingley
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"wine, pork, offal, and shellfish"

Dear Bingley: I don't know what
"offal" means to you, but it means something awful to me.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
isn't offal the stuff that goes into gravy? the gizzards or whatever that word is?

atomica calls it the "waste parts from a slaughtered animal". i suppose, then, it might include tripe?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The dictionary mentions intestines, and scraps.They used to use intestines to make sausages, and that was a dandy way of getting botulism.(look that one up.) Much of the rest used to go into hotdogs. No thanks. So offal to me is hardly more appetizing than the "off-fall" so often washed away by the retromingent bovines.

A nicer word for gravy makings is giblets: heart, gizzard, and neck.

There are times when it is good to keep and eat kosher - and this is certainly one of those times!

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Shoshannah: I used to go to take violin lessons with a couple very nice Jewish boys. I wish I had been able to match the talent of the younger one, who became a member of a major symphony orchestra.
One day on the way home, they stopped at a delicatessen, and came out with a package with some large black characters on it that I had never seen before. I asked what that meant. The older boy answered that it meant the meat was kosher. I asked what Kosher meant, and the older boy replied that it meant it was meat the rabbi had pissed on.
I understood that he was joking, but have never repeated it until now. I didn't want to get a ruptured eardrum.(private portion to Shoshannah.)

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,343
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 757 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith