About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
#20714 03/04/01 10:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Why your pater should have chosen the ides of March for his annual warning (if warning it were, indeed!) is not immediatewly apparent.

I wondered if anyone would get it. His entire warning was: "Eschew Communism. Beware the ideas of Marx."

He was known as one who would grasp any opportunity to make a pun. What follows is one of which he was quite proud:

My friend Sam has lived in many places, at many times. Once he lived in classical Rome, where he kept a journal that proved just how odd the Romans were. According to this journal, all things reproductive were cherished, but most especially a certain elderberry, which was reputed to be the dwelling place of the gods. It was illegal, on pain of death, to pick or eat an elderberry, and all of the plants were the property of the republic.

Sam was on one of his jaunts when he saw a really pretty elderberry bush, and it suddenly dawned on him he could make a great deal of money if he transplanted the bush to a place where it could serve as a focal point of a religion. Within a year or so he was fabulously wealthy. But he feared the religious police so he retired from the priesthood, married, and gave the plant to his wife as a wedding present.

Weeks later there came a knock at the door, where Sam was soon held at spearpoint by the phalanx of Roman soldiers who waited without. Blustering, Sam said, "Have you come to worship my wife's elderberry plant?"

"No," replied the centurion, "we are here to seize her berry, not to praise it."

TEd
#20715 03/04/01 11:18 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I wondered if anyone would get it. His entire warning was: "Eschew Communism. Beware the ideas of Marx."

Which goes to prove I am utterly hopeles at making puns. My inability to decipher has also been proved.
wow

#20716 03/05/01 08:31 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
"Beware the ideas of Marx.", says TEd. And he is quite right, of course (well - certainly to the right of Marx) as the following anecdote will demonstrate.

Marx's friend, Freidrich Engels, was left a house in his uncle's will. He and Marx went to inspect and explore his new property.
On reaching the attics, Engels peered into the water tanks, gave a startled exclamation, put his arm into the water and withdrew two ancient fiddles. "Great Scott, Marx," he exclaimed, "Do you think they might be valuable?"
"No," replied his friend, "They are merely the violins inherited in the cistern."

#20717 03/05/01 09:54 AM
addict
addict
I would never dream of saying anything like this about any other thread, but would it be perhaps advisable for all of us to try and only post once on the birthday thread? I get the feeling that there might be numerous members posting to celebrate, and if many of these comments are met with the usual clever back-and-forth accompaniment, we might easily find ourselves with an unwieldy thread in our hands. My computer, for one, absolutely dislikes long threads, and lets me know every time .

Any thoughts on this?
[lemme-know-if-I'm-overstepping-the-mark emoticon]

#20718 03/05/01 11:09 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
AMEN Marianna!

I think it's possible; you'll note Jo (jmh) has managed to keep her Helpful Hints uncluttered by the back-and-forth to which you refer. Maybe we need a "Happy Birthday" thread and, alongside it, a "Post Your Witty Rejoinders Here" thread.
Anyone disagree?

#20719 03/05/01 11:43 AM
old hand
old hand
Maybe we need a "Happy Birthday" thread and, alongside it, a "Post Your Witty Rejoinders Here" thread.

But aren't parties supposed to be about conversation?

Perhaps, if you are thinking of some kind of tribute to AWAD, with sententious port-soaked, gout-ridden blokes rising up and asking others to be 'upstanding' (a word I loath, abhor, disdain, hate etc in this use) whilst they pour forth orotund, rodomontade oratory, then certainly a "Tribute to AWAD on its Anniversary" thread with single postings per person would be wonderful (else imagine the horror of a succession of after-dinner speakers with the added 'thrill' of heckling!), but I'd suggest a 'Birthday party' thread as well so that we can indulge in our well-worn drunken chat-up lines, criticise the canapes (and our host's taste in curtains and carpets), and look around for unoccupied bedrooms or jacuzzis...

cheer

the sunshine ("Alas, my wife does understand me") warrior

ps. Yes, I'm back for a bit. Missed you...

#20720 03/05/01 12:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome back, shanks!

I like your further refinement of our ideas. I vote for a gout-ridden blokes thread (which we've pretty much agreed on in your absence) and a second one for booze-bloated celebrants.

Jo, are you taking notes here??

P.S. I've got dibs on the room with the waterbed

#20721 03/05/01 12:11 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
shanks!! by all that's wonderful!! Welcome back, dear soul - you have been greatly missed.

Yes, a concurrent birthday party is a great idea - I never refuse an invitation (even if I slightly prefer Birnmigham to Southall!) We can all slip out, one by one, to the broadcasting room, where we can make our formal speeches, then use the opportunity to find out where the empty rooms and the jacuzzi are to be found. Just make sure there is a stool in the broadcast room for my gouty leg!

#20722 03/05/01 12:12 PM
old hand
old hand
This booze-bloated celebrant is prepared to stand up (or slump limply, rather) and be counted. Maybe I can beat Jo to being the first GMT-er to publish on the gout-ridden wonderthread.

As for the waterbed - you can keep it, my friend - I have my eye on that little heated pool by the garden...

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#20723 03/05/01 12:15 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
P.S. I've got dibs on the room with the waterbed

Is there room for two? I promise to take my spurs off!`

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,342
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 491 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith