Print Thread
#20383 02/27/01 04:56 AM
G
gulgre Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
I am currently studying 8 seperate languages, and the one thing I've noticed is that some languages can express an idea SO much better than another one. While that does not say that one language is better than another, it does serve to show the opposite. Every language has its advantages.

Some languages have a beautiful sound (most romance languages), some have a very poetic translation (most languages of the Orient), and others just have an INTERESTING collection of sounds (the clicks and pops of some African tribes). To throw those out because of "industrialization" and constant technological growth is to say goodbye to the creative and wonderful part of this world.

Those who speak English RARELY turn to learn another language; that is to say, they feel that English is the only language of great importance. Imagine if everyone spoke English eventually. There would be no one with a DESIRE to learn a new language, and possibly (POSSIBLY, I emote) that could extend to the retarding of ANY creative productivity. Do we want an entire world of people arrogant and unaccepting of new ways? A new language system is one of the GREATEST ways to increase your vocabulary, mental perception, memory and logic process. I have no proof but I can't help but imagine that creativity of many inventions came from someone who knew an extra languages or two. If that IS the case, and someone wants to back me up (or even prove me wrong), I'd appreciate it. Think how much could NOT be created because we no longer have as useful a tool to increase our creativity.

My main argument is that language is culture. Were it not for various languages' characteristics -- phonetics and such -- the world would not be SEASONED. So I say "No" to a unified language. I think it will never naturally work. Look how far Esperanto got! And if we DID achieve a global language, I would definitely vote against English. Why, you ask? Well, my answer is simple. I dig Korean.

Daniel

#20384 02/28/01 09:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome "gulgre", if you haven't been already.

I think you'll find (and I'm sure to be corrected) that the majority of the members here would not suggest "throwing out" any language, and as you suggest, revel in the many differences, appreciate their growth, and would be saddened if technology becomes more of a "cultural" presence than language, and succeeds in eliminating even one.

If you accept that language is culture, then the English's being quite a collection of different grammars, spellings, pronunciations may be argued as already being the natural global language, unintentionally. Who would be arrogant enough and why would anyone listen to someone suggesting a vote on this subject anyway? Is someone?

Besides, there already is a global "language", it's called music... with which there is no better language to describe.

There are plenty of philosophical arguments against "Language is culture", my favourite is "A culture of one is as valuable as a culture of a billion"... throwing the chaos of subjectivity into a recipe that is trying hard to avoid this ingredient. Do I lose my culture if I decide to only communicate with musical notes from this point forward..? On the contrary, you'd lose yours in my "eyes" (as most people don't hear music as I do (that's polly a good thing).

You clearly understand language better than I do, and it does indeed (as would be expected) make sense for someone with my "culture"(assuming I have any) to argue that "Music is Culture", however, I don't believe that either....

#20385 02/28/01 11:54 PM
Hey musick - I happen to agree with you - as a singer, I have found that, even though I have trouble speaking the language I may need (depending on where I am at any given moment), I can always learn something to sing and thereby am basically accepted and introduced to other elements of the culture around me quite easily! I also find that I can become part of the expat culture more easily if I have something, like my musical ability, to offer... and helps me to meet a wider range of people and make more friends!

As well, being a tour guide (and guiding only in English), I find it's very effective to sing some special songs for the tourists in both Hebrew & English - makes them feel a part of the local culture as well as brings their own 'culture' into the tour!

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#20386 03/01/01 12:00 AM
gulgre - a simple question for you: exactly WHY are you studying 8 languages and exactly which ones?

BTW - one of my favorite languages is Swahili!

#20387 03/09/01 12:58 AM
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Well, I'm studying 9 languages.

-Scott

#20388 03/09/01 10:38 AM
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Well, what languages are you learning, jimthedogII?

jimthedog

#20389 03/10/01 06:07 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Stop yapping at each other, naughty pups, and answer the questions. Which? and Why?
wow

#20390 03/10/01 06:39 PM
And teenage slang does NOT count in this case, nor do animal languages... get it boys?

Anyway - the question was originally directed at gulgre who said he was "studying 8 languages" and I really would like to know which ones and does this include computer languages????

Shoshannah

#20391 03/10/01 09:27 PM
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
I am learning Spanish. JimthedogII is not learning any language beyond picking up a few words here and there.

jimthedog

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith