Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
old hand
old hand
Perhaps it would be better to institute "guidelines" rather than "rules", with the admonition that it's generally better to stay within them until one learns when it may be appropriate to venture outside them.

Peter

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
To me this looks like a restatement of the "good writers can break the rules" argument, Not disagreeing. Though I was inclined to think of it more along the lines of extenuating circumstances. "Your Honor, this man was doing 95 mph in a hospital zone". "Yes, but his wife was screaming in labor in the passenger seat. Case dismissed."

I did feel surprise that a mathematician would say the rules don't always have to be adhered to.

G
G
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
Perhaps it would be better to institute "guidelines" rather than "rules", with the admonition that it's generally better to stay within them until one learns when it may be appropriate to venture outside them.

What sort of grammatical rule or guideline would we be not allowed to break until we become good writers? Shouldn't we be striving to emulate the writing of good writers, not avoid it?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"And since we all want to be good writers, and since good writers can break the rule, how useful is the rule anyway?

There is a difference between breaking a rule for an obvious purpose or breaking a rule because you never exactly knew what the rule was.

( I mean I can't help feeling irritated when in newspapers that were known for clean and correct use of language, I now often find limp grammar published )

G
G
Originally Posted By: BranShea

There is a difference between breaking a rule for an obvious purpose or breaking a rule because you never exactly knew what the rule was.

I think I need an example.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a restatement of the "good writers can break the rules" argument

I never understood this equivocation. If a normal writers breaks a "rule" of grammar (though most of these "rules" are really styles of usage), doesn't that move them from normal writerhood to a better writerhood?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

There's where we part company. Nobody consciously knows the rules of grammar for a specific language, either native or acquired later. The only way to describe the grammar of a language is through observation of people speaking (or writing) it. If you find a situation where you find two conflicting rules, it's either because they are optional or because of a regional (or other kind of 'lect) difference.

Of the "rules" you find in the normative grammars, and style guides masquerading as same, most are not grammatical rules but style choices. (Here I'm thinking of the "use less adjectives" and "don't end sentences with a preposition" kinds of "rules".) Matters of spelling, punctuation, and usage have very little to do with the grammar of a language. (For me a grammar is a sort of abstract device for parsing and generating acceptable sentences in a given language.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Or, to put it another way, the so-called rules are just there for the guidance of folks who don't really know how to write. If you are a good writer your writing will be good. You don't need to pass some sort of good writer test to be permitted to break the so-called rules.

old hand
old hand
Or, they are guidelines for those who are learning the language.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Or, they are guidelines for those who are learning the language.

I don't think so. People acquiring a language are busy learning real rules of grammar, not not seeking guidance in matters of style. It's the difference between learning that the 3rd person singular present indicative form of verbs (in English) end in -s.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith