Print Thread
#201345 07/24/11 03:11 PM
S
squint Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I recalled that once I came across a word on a website. I can't be sure whether the site is something like wikipedia or psychology-related academic one. The word describes a person that's retarded or a moron such that he/she desn't cognize morality or ethics and he/she may be cruel and indifferent.

do anyone know such a word?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

WELCOME, SQUINT

----please, draw me a sheep----
addict
addict
well there are the words psychopath and sociopath, but they refer to non-retarded people - their emotional development is lacking and so have little or no morals and often use and manipulate people for their own benefit...I will think more on a word that fulfills both of your criterea though smile

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well--here's a criteria list for you, from a site I won't link to due to the fact that it contains ads, but a Google search can give you the citation.

Diagnostic criteria for Mental Retardation

A. Significantly subaverage intellectual functioning: an IQ of approximately 70 or below on an individually administered IQ test (for infants, a clinical judgment of significantly subaverage intellectual functioning).

B. Concurrent deficits or impairments in present adaptive functioning (i.e.. the person's effectiveness in meeting the standards expected for his or her age by his or her cultural group) in at least two of the following areas: communication. self-care, home living, social/interpersonal skills, use of community resources, self-direction, functional academic skills, work, leisure, health, and safety.

C. The onset is before age 18 years.

Code based on degree of severity reflecting level of intellectual impairment:

317 Mild Mental Retardation: IQ level 50-55 to approximately

318.0 Moderate Mental Retardation: IQ level 35-40 to 50-55

318.1 Severe Mental Retardation: IQ level 20-25 to 35-40

318.2 Profound Mental Retardation: IQ level below 20- 25

319 Mental Retardation, Severity Unspecified: when there is a strong presumption of Mental Retardation but the person's intelligence is untestable by standard tests

I have to say, though, that nowhere did I learn that having difficulty learning morality or ethics was the primary symptom of retardation. It is virtually always part of an array of symptoms...when it is tied to retardation.

There are plenty of people of average or high intelligence who have difficulty with morality or ethics ; sociopaths are the extreme.

Rats! Thought I could put a link for you, but no. If Google will take you to The Free Dictionary, look up Antisocial personality disorder; you will find many terms fitting various levels. One of these may be the one you're looking for.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 647 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith