Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Hmm, maybe Bean can help me out on this but I don't think we use our SS for anything other than government identification (eg. setting up your tax situation in a company, paying taxes, et al).

In Québec our medicare number, our driver`s license, employee number are all different. Makes for a lot of numbers to remember.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it can be annoying to realise, too late, that the one dollar coin one has just inserted into a vending machine was actually worth $2.50!

You put MONEY in VENDING MACHINES?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Capital Kiwi : You put MONEY in VENDING MACHINES?

Oh, yeah. And in parking meters, public telephones, toll road baskets, laundromat washers and dryers ... so if you travel in USA, find a Bank and get a couple of rolls of quarters ($5 per roll) and bunch of one dollar bills.
Some vending machines are set up to provide change but not all are ... and sometimes the machines which are supposed to give you change do not ! so I make sure I have a few $1s on hand at all times!
When travelling, the ashtray is a handy place to keep the quarters and a few $1s.
wow

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And as I said before, use correct amount when purchasing packets of stamps from vending machines in US Post Office, or you get in your change those censored deleted unprinted silver dollars that are so easily mistaken for quarters.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
CapK sniggered You put MONEY in VENDING MACHINES?

That's right, my whriendly WhanganuiaTaran, gloat away. Here in little ole Hicksville (LIU), we don't yet have them newfangled vending macvhines wot takes them EFTPOS cards. When they does gets here, I'll be usin 'em.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
You put MONEY in VENDING MACHINES?

Reminds me of seeing a little kid whining to his mother that he put is money in the gum machine, but didn't get any gum. In strong ethnic accent, his mother coached him:
"So beng it a leedle!"
There were also some "phreaks" years ago who could fool phone operator into thinking they had deposited a coin by belting the box. So, CK, are you a vending machine phreak?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
All right, what are you all on about? Doesn't everybody put money in vending machines? Is junk food free in other countries???? [colour me confused emoticon]

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
BelMarduk asked Doesn't everybody put money in vending machines? Is junk food free in other countries

For my part, I took CapKiwi'squestion to be a refrence to the latest generation of vending machines that are starting to pop up here in NZ. These new machines are operated by cards, either credit cards or debit (POS) cards. Some use rechargeable swipe cards which come in set values and have the appropriate sum deducted from their memory after each use. The more I waffle on about these new vending machines, the less likely it seems to me that they were what CapK had in mind. Kindly ignore the above babblings.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
CapK sniggered You put MONEY in VENDING MACHINES?

That's right, my whriendly WhanganuiaTaran, gloat away. Here in little ole Hicksville (LIU), we don't yet have them newfangled vending macvhines wot takes them EFTPOS cards. When they does gets here, I'll be usin 'em.

I wasn't sniggering, I was shocked. I thought that you just banged them on the side and they coughed up whatever it was you wanted, and that they know what you want through AI telepathy. I, um, never use them at all, you see!

And in answer to wwh's suggestion that I might be a phone phreak, please sir! Have more respect for my integrity! I used a small copper strip which you inserted behind the face plate of the phone to hold the money lever down while I stole phone time, my good man. None of this crass and unnecessary vandalism for me, no sirree! (And I haven't done THAT since about 1960. I think the Statute of Limitations applies or at least that's what I'll claim.)

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I used a small copper strip which you inserted behind the face plate of the phone to hold the money lever down while I stole phone time, my good man

My stepgrother used to be able to make free phone calls from the older coin phones by tapping the connector button thingies to bring the number to 0. So, for example 878 2754 would be 232 8356. I never had the dexterity to pull off the rapid sequence of taps required. This enabled me to adopt an utterly spurious air of moral superiority.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith