Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#194621 12/06/10 03:06 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Okay--recently it occurred to me to wonder what the dictionary had as the definition of music. Well, I just looked at FOUR on-line sources and I have problems with all of them. (I won't bother to put the links--if you want to LIU for yourself go right ahead.)

MUSIC
AHD offers
NOUN:
1. The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.
2. Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.
a. A musical composition.
b. The written or printed score for such a composition.
c. Such scores considered as a group: We keep our music in a stack near the piano.
4. A musical accompaniment.
5. A particular category or kind of music.
6. An aesthetically pleasing or harmonious sound or combination of sounds: the music of the wind in the pines.

Technically, yes, art is a noun; but arranging sounds is definitely an action.

Cambridge Online says:
music noun /ˈmjuː.zɪk/ n [U]
• a pattern of sounds made by musical instruments, singing or computers, or a combination of these, intended to give pleasure to people listening to it
classical/pop/dance/rock music
a beautiful piece of music
What sort of music do you listen to?
They play good music (= recordings of music) on this (radio) station.
I just like making music (= playing music or singing).
Shall I put on some music (= play a recording)?

• the art or study of music
I studied music at college.
the music business/industry
music lessons

• the written system of symbols representing musical notes
Can you read music?

I don't think that music is always "intended to give pleasure to people listening to it".

Dictionary.com has:
–noun
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
3. musical work or compositions for singing or playing.
4. the written or printed score of a musical composition.
5. such scores collectively.
6. any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound: the music of the waves.
7. appreciation of or responsiveness to musical sounds or harmonies: Music was in his very soul.
8. Fox Hunting . the cry of the hounds.

Ok, I'm willing to admit ignorance on the fox hunting part, but. As a musician, I happen to know what "in time" refers to, but not everyone necessarily would. In time for what? In time, as in whenever the composer gets around to it? I also think the use of the word color could be confusing.

Lastly, M-W says
1a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony
2a : an agreeable sound : euphony <her voice was music to my ears> b : musical quality <the music of verse>
3: a musical accompaniment <a play set to music>
4: the score of a musical composition set down on paper
5: a distinctive type or category of music <there is a music for everybody — Eric Salzman>

This one too defines a noun by an action. I do think "in temporal relationships" is much more accurate than "in time".

So--is anybody going to argue set me straight on this? And, can anybody come up with a really good definition of music? Or better, your immediate, not-overthought one.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
arranging sounds.. ordering tones

gerunds, or verbal nouns, constitute standard lexicographical constructs. howz dat for straightening dope?

addict
addict
An artistic form of auditory communication
(incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner)

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You can see 'the art of arranging' as a noun, me seems.
@stuwm, yes like the saying goes in your favorite language: "C'est le ton qui fait la musique". Anyway, no definition will ever stop the music.(and dance)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and I have problems with all of them.

I'd like to hear what your problems are with the definitions. They seem rather good to me.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't know how to define it, but I know it when I hear it...

formerly known as etaoin...
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I'd like to hear what your problems are with the definitions. Em--I put them in my OP.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie, I think in your objections to the Dictionary.com definition, you're applying too technical a reading of "in time". It doesn't mean that the time signature and metronome setting are being strictly adhered to or what you're getting at with your comment "in time for what?". It just means what you mean by "in temporal relationships" but in a language that is aimed at the common reader.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Em--I put them in my OP.

Hmm, how did I miss those.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
It just means what you mean by "in temporal relationships" Thats how I discerned it. But the way it is written it could be interpreted three ways.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 747 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith