About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
tsuwm #194783 12/10/10 12:50 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
hmmmm well, down here 'a' and 'i's are always getting mixed up in the speech between Kiwi's and Aussies....I just didn't notice it.

I say 'pin' and Aussies think I'm saying 'pen' crazy

Last edited by Candy; 12/10/10 12:50 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Aramis
A. does not fancy any of them. Was inclined to go with E but what use is defining the first stone in a pile? Weeding out more, is not "young egg" another pleonasm? Wood stoves do not need seals and a well-known burglar would not be successful long enough to become an eponym. A peat moor channel is useful for - navigation? Are there any urban Mongolian tribefolk?

Wincing and going with C. eek

A) if you don't have a first stone you're not going to have a pile.

2) A young egg is the egg in a state of development prior to the formation of the shell. Anyone who has killed and gutted a chicken is familiar with the eggs in this state. The assembly line looks a little like a brussels sprout bush.

Þ) If there isn't a seal around the edge of the door you're not going to be able to control the air coming into the stove and it will burn too hot and too quickly. On our stove the seal is a braided cord and it is attached to the edge of the door with some goop.

Last edited by Faldage; 12/10/10 02:08 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and iv) the story of Johnny Yegg

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Where I grew up a "yegg" was a safecracker. Plain and simple.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Originally Posted By: Aramis
A. does not fancy any of them. Was inclined to go with E but what use is defining the first stone in a pile? Weeding out more, is not "young egg" another pleonasm? Wood stoves do not need seals and a well-known burglar would not be successful long enough to become an eponym. A peat moor channel is useful for - navigation? Are there any urban Mongolian tribefolk?

Wincing and going with C. eek

A) if you don't have a first stone you're not going to have a pile.

2) A young egg is the egg in a state of development prior to the formation of the shell. Anyone who has killed and gutted a chicken is familiar with the eggs in this state. The assembly line looks a little like a brussels sprout bush.

Þ) If there isn't a seal around the edge of the door you're not going to be able to control the air coming into the stove and it will burn too hot and too quickly. On our stove the seal is a braided cord and it is attached to the edge of the door with some goop.

Also you get 'old eggs'. When collecting fresh eggs from chicken nest, we had to date them, so we knew which were the young ones and which were older. The older ones sometimes went 'bad' before we used them.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted By: wofahulicodoc
Where I grew up a "yegg" was a safecracker. Plain and simple.

.....now you have me singing Cole Porter's: It's De-lovely......but like Robbie Williams version grin

bexter Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I never said a yegg wasn't a safe-cracker, just that that is a later slang definition of the original meaning of yegg.
Also tsuwm if you read the definition it does say that yegg may have come from the surname of an itinerant burglar but it unknown whether the word or the burglar came first.

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
on a related note, did the external link to the NYT article on Johnny Yegg work for y'all? I had some problems with it my own self, although it did work once. (PDF file)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
on a related note, did the external link to the NYT article on Johnny Yegg work for y'all? I had some problems with it my own self, although it did work once. (PDF file)

works fine for me!

formerly known as etaoin...
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Yes it did, but there is an interestinger article there called "My last play". It could be posturing, or it could be tragic. Can't imagine giving away all your books like that. I wonder how he'll feel in the end when they are all gone - disembowelled or unburdened?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 995 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith