Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#192897 08/30/10 04:24 PM
S
Susan G Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I am a former teacher and a writer of lessons for youth. I am trying to track down a new writing convention in spacing sentences.

When I was young, back in the days before White Out, the rule was this: 1 space between words, 2 words between sentences and 3 spaces to indent paragraphs. It was simple and easy to remember.

Nowadays, all over the 'net, including Wordsmith, the new writing convention is one space between sentences. It seems to be a new rule: 1 spacebar between words and sentences and 1 carriage return between paragraphs. ("And what the heck is a "carriage return" anyway?" say the kids. )

Am I correct in this observation, or is something else happening? Are people still following the old rule or is some feature of the internet daemon shortening the spaces between sentences?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I learned it the way you did. Happy I am not teaching anymore.

Welcome

----please, draw me a sheep----
veteran
veteran
I learned the same thing. What changed it was not the Internet, per se, but the instantiation of proportional fonts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing
"With the introduction of proportional fonts in computers, double sentence spacing became obsolete.[13]"

... and later ...

"Most modern literature on typography says that double spacing is wrong,[18] but some non-typographical sources indicate that it could be used on a typewriter or with a monospaced font.[19]"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
I learned the same thing. What changed it was not the Internet, per se, but the instantiation of proportional fonts.

"With the introduction of proportional fonts in computers, double sentence spacing became obsolete.[13]"

... and later ...

"Most modern literature on typography says that double spacing is wrong,[18] but some non-typographical sources indicate that it could be used on a typewriter or with a monospaced font.[19]"

Fascinating, thanks.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend

... and later ...

This rationale makes absolutely no sense to me. If the reason for double spacing between sentences was to make it easier to see that it was a space between sentences the fact that the double space in a monospaced font is greater than that in a proportional font would make it more critical to double space in a proportional font. The period would seem to be more easily lost in a proportional font since it takes up less space than it would in a monospaced font. It seems to me more like it is just the fashion in house style and for some reason has gained the status of inviolable rule.

Personally I find double spacing between sentences in proportional fonts much easier to read.

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
In some softwares, pressing space twice after a word automatically inserts a full stop/period.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I hadn't seen that one. HTML generally compresses two or more spaces to one unless you add explicit non-breaking spaces.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
HTML generally compresses two or more spaces to one unless you add explicit non-breaking spaces.

Some applications, like FrameMaker, also get rid of the "two spaces" unless you muck with the defaults.

A convention is just that. Conventions change. Gone today are the mid dots and virgules of the days of yore ... It's amazing the things we cling to learned in our adolescence.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
S
Susan G Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Thanks, everyone. You are wonderful. I did come to the right group for help. Susan

addict
addict
I was told a few years ago at a seminar that our habit of double spacing after a sentence was a carry-over from the manuscript/codex days, which, in my experience, is exactly the opposite of the truth. Not only were these ancient texts not double-spaced between sentences, they used NO spaces (and often no punctuation) between sentences. So this may simply be an evolving convention with no rational source, driven by the same fewer-keystrokes-is-better mentality as "Im 1 and ur 1 2" [period intentionally missing]

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith