#188369 12/20/09 06:51 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Guys forgive me for triggering this knotty problem, but this thread

http://wordsmith.org/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/188368/1

...was somehow widened off screen by my pasting of a url that was apparently too long and which might not have contained internal provisions for curtailing or automatic-carriage-return insertion, while curtailing it as you will see didn't restore original page width; presuming the trouble lies either within the AWAD algorithm or a glitch in Bill or Macs processing

However it's conceivable that the original problem lies in neither of those systems but in some peculiarity of the url itself. For instance, it might purposely have been jiggered in an effort to discourage tyros like myself from providing a link to others; in which case I can only beg your forgiveness for my beginners' inability to spot such tampering, with the hope that in order to preclude repetitions of this calamity, if not correctible through software, you or possibly Buff can provide a window into such means so that we can rectify the url before pasting

Again thank you for your patience and concern in this matter

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Something odd: in that thread I cannot edit, but in this one I can.

EDIT: Oops--the Edit button was just way far right. Lemme try; I reckon.

EDIT 2: Okay--I took out the long URLs and quotes; that seems to have fixed it.

Last edited by Jackie; 12/21/09 02:13 AM.
Jackie #188390 12/21/09 06:00 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Something odd: in that thread I cannot edit, but in this one I can.

EDIT: Oops--the Edit button was just way far right. Lemme try; I reckon.

Quote:
That one had me going for a while too

EDIT 2: Okay--I took out the long URLs and quotes; that seems to have fixed it.

Quote:
Jackie thank you for doing that although I'm still not clear on the defect within the url that triggered the difficulty or how one would easily recognize and correct it before pasting

As tsu says in post 188338, the difficulty may be traceable to something I'm doing wrong or to a glitch somewhere in my software, in which case I most profusely apoloize but if not perhaps Admin or somebody with a programming background will chime in on this. Thanks to everyone for your interest

PS, Forgive me also for my clumsy attempts using the "Quote" function which I fear I shall never master

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dale, please refer to my reply to your latest reverse dictionary post. I know what the problem is; that is, you're assuming that you can just copy a URL right into the post area when you reply. I'm sorry to say you can't [no matter how many times you complain that should be able to], and you need to follow the (rather simple) procedure that I outlined there. this procedure creates the UBBCode that eta has laid out for you, and you don't need to know *anything about the length or form of the incoming URL!

tsuwm #188393 12/21/09 06:54 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Thanks tsu but can you give me a link to that specific post

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
why? is it more difficult for you to find it than for me?!

tsuwm #188400 12/22/09 02:50 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=can+you+give+me+a+link+to+that+specific+post

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
http://onelook.com/?w=*:when+will+he+shuffle+off+this+mortal+coil%3F&ls=a

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So what's the deal here? When someone puts in a long url I get it limited to that post and there's a little scroll bar beneath that particular post. Ubuntu 7.04 Firefox 2.0.0.3

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>what's the deal

remember when, for a time, after the recent update, some folks claimed the "new messages" navigation was still working for them?

perhaps this is a similar phenomenon, because the scroll bar no longer appears for me; Windows XP, Firefox 3.5.6

tsuwm #188408 12/22/09 08:38 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
dale, please refer to my reply to your latest reverse dictionary post..........and you don't need to know *anything about the length or form of the incoming URL!

Thank you tsu, yes I finally found it, copied it and stuck it up on the wall, whereupon I shall now try it using the unsuccessful url:

anything

Of course tsu it worked just as you expected and I really appreciate your patience and I will do it this way heretofore or until I chance upon what I had originally expected, which is (1) (a) a way to tell from the looks of a url that it won't work, then (b) an easy way to modify it so that it does work, resulting not in my renamed link as above but in one similar to the appearance of original url but processed to include carriage returns and all the other necessary wherewithal in the typical link as turning blue with underline etc

... or (2) even better, a preferably iconic means of some sort available in a handy spot which would simply process the url in a single keystroke (as with the "Create a link..." icon above), curtailing it if necessary but again delivering a link with the appearance of a url

In other Web boards it's even easier. One simply pastes the url into his post (as I did originally with such untoward results) whereupon the board's software recognizes its shortcomings, automatically corrects them, and delivers he result I had hoped for without even a single keystroke on my part. Apparently AWAD's doesn't include this feature and so again I apologize for all the fuss I had created by not having realized this sooner

dalehileman
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Guys huzzah: After a fit of screen sucking that occupied the entire morning and two hours into the afternoon with much gnashing of teeth and repeatedly failed attempts

jackie http://wordsmith.org/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/188387/Request_for_a_word#Post188387

....although requiring 21 keystrokes to accomplish in processing it as a link; and finally it turned out that I hadn't needed the "jackie" after all because this time as I should immediately have realized from its total purpleness the initially pasted url itself was already suitable for link form and why in its first black incarnation the original url somehow popped up twice in succession

....leading however to the question,* why can't all url's everywhere be provided in linkifiable form. If most of them obviously can, why couldn't they all

Mac are you listening, where are you, why do you make it all so difficult

Which leaves me with one of the original questions, and that is, in its first incarnation within the post how would one easily recognize it as defective after pasting without first submitting the post then noting whether it was going to turn out black and useless or in the desired link form, then returning to edit the remainder

Where now if it is seen to be defective (that is, all black), as I mentioned above, I can with tsu's help then place it in the unusual link form preferred by AWAD (that is, with "jackie" link underlined in purple, followed by url in black

......which by the way, I rather like, in spite of the 21 additional keystrokes necessary to place it in that form; and in the future thanks to youall, will continue to use unless something quicker and easier comes along

*As a result of semantic shifting within my lifetime, which as you must know I often deplore, to sound modern I should have written, "... begging however the question..."

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yeahbut, you seem to have put the link in there *twice* - once with the title jackie and once with the whole furshlugginer url. (I don't know why you want to have that, I ignore it anyway.)

you may have noticed (or not) that many folks 'title' their links with a word like "link"; to me, this obviousizes what you've done and entirely gets around the problem of labeling your link. but others like to give their link a "clever" title, which has the tendency to obfuscate matters a bit with this software.

link

FAQs

[that was two separate URLs (actually, the same URL with different 'titles', just to prove a point).]

now, back to the matter at hand.. when you first click on 'Create a link to a webpage' (and assuming you've copied the desired URL; i.e., it's on the clipboard), you get the pop-up which says "Enter the complete URL..", right? now, don't do anything else but only CTRL-V!! you've just replaced the hi-lited text with your URL; click OK. you now see the second pop-up which says "Enter the title..", right? now, don't do anthing else but only TYPE IN SOME TEXT (something such as "link")**; click OK. you now see the URL form in the post window and you can finish editing your post and click the Submit button. et voila.

**if you really MUST have the URL itself show up as the hot link, you can CTRL-V again at this point, and then the URL will also be the title; but again, why would you want to do this (other than to make the result look like what other boards do automagically)?

Last edited by tsuwm; 12/23/09 09:39 PM.
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
[=tsuwm]yeahbut, you seem to have put the link in there *twice*....... I ignore it anyway.)

Quote:
tsu forgive me for not being clear, sometimes in trying to cover every base I tend to get too wordy but I thought I had explained that I realized it wasn't right, that I had repeated my effort--resulting in two separate links--because I initially didn't recognize the pasted url as already in link form. Admittedly I can understand your confusion which owes entirely to my laziness

you may have noticed (or not) that many folks 'title' their links with a word like "link"; to me, this obviousizes what you've done...........to obfuscate matters a bit with this software.

link

FAQs

[that was two separate URLs (actually, the same URL with different 'titles', just to prove a point).

Quote:
Of course tsu I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly, if the url is already suitable to link form, the second "name" link or "'link' link" or whatever seems pointless but you and I might be using the terms "link" and "url" in a different ways. By url I understand an address which may or many not be suitable for pasting into a post such as this; if not it stays black and can screw up the appearance of the entire thread and requires 21 keystrokes to rectify

If the original url (address) is however already acceptable to link use, pasting turns it purple (or blue?) with underline and no further action is required unless you want for some reason to title it, in which case of course you spend another 21 keystrokes processing

now, back to the matter at hand.. when you first click on 'Create a link to a webpage' (and.......... finish editing your post and the click the Submit button. et voila.

[quote]Yes again my apologies, I did in fact use that very system successfully yesterday in our Miscellaney forrum Admin need help thread and hope I duly thanked you for explaining how it's done. What I had thought I finally wound up with was the link "anything" in purple (or is it blue) followed by the URL in black, and that's what I said above "I rather like" since it provides a quick clickableness but at the same time retains the original url for the reader's benefit. Huzzah

However I didn't realize that upon submission the url would be deleted, leaving only the link, "anything" This method is ok of course if you know how if he's curious the reader has quick means to recover the original url

Still my hope would save even him a few keystrokes. It was for a quick means of transforming a "defective" url into linkable form without the need for the additional link containing the comment and of course that's exactly what one gets when the original url is already in linkable form when pasted. I had merely hoped there was an easy way to place a "defective" one in that form without 21 additional keystrokes but evidently there isn't

dalehileman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,371
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 803 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith