Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#18545 05/01/01 03:49 PM
H
addict
addict
H
"Excuse me! In spite of your mother's husband's demise, your father is still fishing off the end of Brighton Pier."

There was a piece in the New Yorker recently about DNA testing and genealogical research, in which the author discussed just such a scenario, absent the fishing reference. Apparently, in the field of such research, the situation described, wherein the biological father and the mother's husband are not the same non-woman, is known as a "non-paternity event."

#18546 05/01/01 07:58 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
M&Ms
This story reminds me of my wife's little in-joke with our second son. He is named Stephen Bartholomew. We wanted to name him Stephen after my late brother, but the choice of middle name was my wife's inspiration. She decided that since all the Youngs are SB's we might as well name one that (her very words).

#18547 05/01/01 08:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
doesn't the term "non-paternity event." seem wrong? the child was fathered-- it was a "non-spousal event" since the "spouse" who give the name to the child is not the biological father. There are some indications that among low income families the average rate for such an event is 5% of all births-- with a high income families the rate falls to 4.9%-- So being rich is no defence against being cuckholded!

#18548 05/01/01 10:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is a case in the Ohio courts involving a 7-year-old
boy, whose father discovered he was not the father, after becoming a widower. I was taught that the law considered the mother's husband at the time of the birth to be the legal father, but apparently that has changed. DNA
testing proved another man to be the biological father, and he has won visitation rights and is suing for custody. Sad.

I've also just read about a scientist coming under attack because he wants to push ahead with attempting to clone
humans. Our technology is definitely outstripping our
values. So few years ago, there was no way of proving
parenthood. Older women are giving birth to their
childrens' babies. Contracts with surrogate mothers.
All new to the legislators, who must attempt to draft rational laws about what had been the unthinkable.

#18549 05/01/01 11:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've also just read about a scientist coming under attack because he wants to push ahead with attempting to clone humans

yes, jackie... don't you know? we're not allowed to *clone* babies. it's wrong. now, killing them.... that's perfectly legal.

there's a small group in the Los Angeles area that provides free sterilization, along with a modest monetary incentive (IIRC it's like $50, presumably to cover travel costs) to welfare moms. they are being sued, and accused of genocide. how interesting...

[sorry-had-to-say-it-e]

#18550 05/01/01 11:40 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Re cloning humans: The most convincing argument against it I have heard is the potential for producing defective individuals. Several of the cloned animals have proved to be defective.
P.S. I meant seriously defective, likely to have short unpleasant lives, with no assurance that those who created them will give them long term care if they need it.

#18551 05/01/01 11:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The most convincing argument against it I have heard is the potential for producing defective individuals

but aren't we all defective? or is it just me?

EDIT: in response to your PS, Dr. Bill.. let's just cut to the chase. We all know that Dolly and her contemporaries were conceived without semen contribution(using a female's egg along a cell from another female). Therefore, if cloning were to catch on, there would be no genetic need for men. You are a man. You are therefore uncomfortable with this concept. Q.E.D.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 799 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith