Buffalo Shrdlu #183436 03/10/09 01:55 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Quote:
Originally Posted By: etaoin
did you read the wikipedia links, dale? or are you just into some chain-wanking?

Yes really I did, or at east the introductory paragraphs which seemed to indicate that a PC or Personal Computer is any sort of desktop model no matter the maker or OS, and yes I understand that is the impression many if not most bloggers reflect. However my techie buddies tell me that that the unit first used widely for Windows etc and called the PC was of a sort of modular design not common with Apple units and that was the reason I shouldn't use that abbreviation in reference to my new Mac

So I was looking for an abbreviation or shortie expression that would cover either kind of computer without any ambiguity. My most abject apologies if I wan't clear

Also I got the impression that "blog," "message board," "weblog," "website," and "Internet forum" are used pretty much to mean the same thing

dalehileman
dalehileman #183439 03/10/09 02:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I hate to say it (well, okay.. not really) but I told y'all so.
-ron o.

tsuwm #183440 03/10/09 02:29 AM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
-ron o.

Except that so far I have not felt the temptation to see what I'm missing. I think you warned that was possible when choosing to ignore a user but it hasn't happened for me.

latishya #183441 03/10/09 02:31 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
Except that so far I have not felt the temptation to see what I'm missing. I think you warned that was possible when choosing to ignore a user but it hasn't happened for me.

now *that's funny! laugh

tsuwm #183442 03/10/09 03:46 AM
D
addict
addict
D
Nope, never heard a short generic term for computer. Never really felt the need to look for one. I'll leave the search to those who insist on saying "double-you pee double-you" for Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome.

I'm not sure I trust Dictionary.com at the best of times, and this definition is particularly lax and misleading. It certainly does nothing to differentiate the multiple uses to which the web is now put.

Originally Posted By: dale
Also I got the impression that "blog," "message board," "weblog," "website," and "Internet forum" are used pretty much to mean the same thing

Though I'm almost completely not a technophile, I suspect a simple googling of these terms would reveal the differences. A blog is (by definition) a weblog, which I like to think of as a public entry in a personal diary, or as a captain's log on a ship. Many may only have a blog on their website, but that no more makes them synonyms than people who only eat apples saying they eat lots of fruit (insert Faldagian rant about logical fallacies here).

A message board allows messages to be posted, and replies recieved in the same way a paper notice board would, though the replies and any subsequent discussion tends to be more public. An internet forum is simply a place for discussion of a particular brand of *stuff in the same way a as a public forum of old. I suspect the last two have blurred somewhat. For example, I would regard this place as a forum rather than a bulletin board, but the link in the top corner obviously disagrees.

tsuwm #183444 03/10/09 12:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
-ron o.

I know. I never thought I was a masochist, but apparently...

formerly known as etaoin...
dalehileman #183446 03/10/09 01:23 PM
veteran
veteran
PC refers to any personal computer. The use of PC predates the IBM PC. After the IBM PC came out, their advertising co-opted the use of the initialism. In the early days, we explicitly referred to IBM PC's to distinguish them from all others. Gradually, the generic use of PC faded.

That is, IBM and Microsoft have succeeded in the advertising war. Nowadays even many tech people will tell you (incorrectly) that the term PC applies only IBMs. "When people hear the word PC, we want them to think only of our product (IBM)."

It's true that the IBM systems were pretty clean, but not NEAR so clean and modular as current Windows machines. And the Osborne, I think, had at least as clean a design.

As technical words become widespread, I think their meanings become diffuse, more confusing, and less useful. At first, the newer meanings are just wrong, but you get to a point where ... if the vast majority of people say the word "pig" means "a type of fowl" then, well, I guess that's what it means.

Many people use the terms net, internet, and web interchangeably. Probably this reflects their own usage, but the fact that they all mean very different things is irrelevant to them. They don't know or care about the correct meanings of the words, because it's not important to them.

All blogs are websites, but not all websites are blogs. A message "board" is not a blog. Most message boards these days are websites (or are hosted at websites), but that was not always the case, as message boards predate the web.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
PC refers to any personal computer. The use of PC predates the IBM PC........Nowadays even many tech people will tell you (incorrectly) that the term PC applies only IBMs.

Forgive me Fal, no offense, but my highly-remunerated aerospace IT Son No. 1 would rake you over the coals for that "[incorrectly]". And indeed, for what it's worth, the pre-'s vs the de-'s would debate your assertion indefinitely ad infinitum

Quote:
"When people hear the word PC, we want them to think only of our product (IBM)."...........As technical words become widespread, I think their meanings become diffuse, more confusing, and less useful..............They don't know or care about the correct meanings of the words, because it's not important to them.

Thank you for that rundown and I agree; before I turned in my credentials as prescriptivist for those of a de-, I preached my preference when a new technology appears, for applying a new word rather than stretching or "smearing" an old one; naming a rom a "drive," and the like, a tendency that could eventually wind using the term also to describe a written algorthm then eventually a book, any book

Quote:
All blogs are websites, but not all websites are blogs. A message "board" is not a blog. Most message boards these days are websites (or are hosted at websites), but that was not always the case, as message boards predate the web.
[/quote]

But when I look up these terms I get the distinct impression they are already all melding into one another

dalehileman
doc_comfort #183449 03/10/09 04:29 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: doc_comfort
Nope, never heard a short generic term for computer. Never really felt the need to look for one.

Though it confuses some of my corrspondents one of the reasons I like "PC" is that it saves keystrokes over "computer"

Quote:
........ not sure I trust Dictionary.com.....does nothing to differentiate the multiple uses to which the web is now put.

OneLook reflects all current usages and irrefutably demonstrates semantic drift or what I call "smearing". That you don't trust it reveals your credentials as a pre-; no offense, in fact I used to prefer the pre-'s over the de-s

Quote:
Though I'm almost completely not a technophile, I suspect a simple googling of these terms would reveal the differences.......(insert Faldagian rant about logical fallacies here).

Quote:
A message board allows messages to be posted.....An internet forum is simply a place for discussion......I suspect the last two have blurred somewhat. For example, I would regard this place as a forum rather than a bulletin board, but the link in the top corner obviously disagrees.

[/quote]

Ok but no matter the word I use I seem to draw barbs from everywhere so I'm still open to a pet name or " shortie" for (1) computer and one covering (2) sites of all kinds, like this one, where people talk about things

dalehileman
dalehileman #183454 03/10/09 06:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
........ not sure I trust Dictionary.com.....does nothing to differentiate the multiple uses to which the web is now put.

OneLook reflects all current usages and irrefutably demonstrates semantic drift or what I call "smearing".

I think you've smeared (in the more traditional sense) OneLook by equating it to Dictionary.com. they're not at all the same thing, as OneLook includes the latter, as well as 990 other dictionaries.

since you're chewing up Anu's bandwidth with this discussion, why not use his terminology: Wordsmith Talk (bulletin board) which includes several Forums of which this ( Q&A about words ) is one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith