Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Hi Glenn, Barbara

My No. 1 Son has raked me over the coals--virtually disowning me--ostensibly for having discouraged you switching from Bill to Mac, but I hope I haven't been unfair or exaggerated in my comparisons. While Apple has a few glitches just as Windows, except for a few problems that affect only a very small part of the population who seriously edit their email, it is vastly superior in many respects, especially of course in its immunity. I deeply resented my subscription to Norton and immensely grateful to LS for having persuaded me to switch and even agree with him that I should have done it much earlier

Therefore although in general Mac requires more keystrokes to do some common tasks, unless you do a lot of work in Mail I do recommend Apple. However, Mail totally lacks editing capability (as the Word overlap into Outlook) except for its speller, which however doesn't even recognize "te" as a misspelling of "the". So only if you do a lot of serious correspondence I would stick to Windows/Outlook

Eventually, however, Mac is going to realize his mistake and provide a transfer of Word capability to Mail so if you're willing to wait it out, I most certainly recommend a immediate switchover

Best to youall
Dale

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dear dale,

why do you importune us with this drivel?

best,
ron o.

p.s. - I hope I didn't slip a type-3 in on you there.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
dear dale,

why do you importune us with this drivel?

*****Because it drives you to distraction

best,
ron o.

p.s. - I hope I didn't slip a type-3 in on you there.

***Well at least you tried

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
Mail totally lacks editing capability

Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Select all, Complete, Paste as Quotation, Paste and Match Style.

what else do you need?

formerly known as etaoin...
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: etaoin
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
Mail totally lacks editing capability

Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Select all, Complete, Paste as Quotation, Paste and Match Style.

what else do you need?

Glad you asked because it gives me a legitimate opportunity to further provoke tsu and his followers. Yes, the routine you cite is very roundabout compared to Outlook/Word capabilities and can stretch out the editing process for a single document from minutes to hours depending on how many times you spot another error and have to thus move it back and forth back and forth...

... though I believe you inadvertently omitted initial highlighting of the word or paragraph to be edited and another Select All between Cut and Copy

As I probably mentioned earlierier I could live with the incompetence of its spellchecker (coincidentally Mac couldn't correct "earlierier" above) but in Mail I miss most acutely the inability to place macros in its taskbar. I had used as many as 105 macros in one past word processor, a terrific saving of keystrokes

One that sticks in my mind coped with Word's annoying habit of every so often withdrawing all the spellcheck wigglies from a document, requiring a routine of 18 keystrokes to restore them, a process you had to repeat a few days to a week later when they again disappeared. Of course I was able to write a macro allowing me to get them back in a single keystroke

Alas eta you and I are apparently among the few who so deeply resent the loss of editing capabilities or perhaps who even understand what we're talking about

Anyone wishing to tear me to shreds, I am yours, dalehileman@me.com and apparently don't care who knows it

dalehileman

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith