Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#182445 02/06/09 08:37 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ostensive

["This pink (shade) is more like this vermillion than it is like this black".
What were the definitions of "pink", "vermillion "and the rest?
They had none. The colors could be recognized only by looking,
so that their definitions were classified as ostensive, and from such nothing logically followed".]

(from: The First and the Last, Isaiah Berlin - chapter: verificationism)

Set against the definiton ( Bartleby) of PINK :
"Any of a group of colors reddish in hue, of medium to high lightness, and of low to moderate saturation."

For REDDISH they have:
"Mixed or tinged with red; somewhat red."

Then for RED:
1a. The hue of the long-wave end of the visible spectrum, evoked in the human observer by radiant energy with wavelengths of approximately 630 to 750 nanometers; any of a group of colors that may vary in lightness and saturation and whose hue resembles that of blood ; one of the additive or light primaries; one of the psychological primary hues.
b. A pigment or dye having a red hue. c. Something that has a red hue.

Many words but do they really tell anything useful about the color red?

I propose it here because the quoted part from the book made me suppose that there must be many defintions that on closer look could be classified as ostensive.( depending on the way you sense, see or hear it?)

BranShea #182446 02/06/09 11:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Red is the color that makes you more cautious.

Faldage #182447 02/06/09 12:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Interesting article, though the issue is not really a specific color.

"When you're filing your tax returns, you should actually have your computer screen set at red color," he says."

Our tax form envelopes are blue. To encourage creative bookkeeping? smile

"If the color red is involved, these women are perceived (cautioun!) to be more attractive,
more sexually desirable than in any control color condition," Maier says.
This suggests that red doesn't always trigger an avoidance response.

(In China red is the color of happiness; when we are happy we more easily find life attractive in general.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
Could one define the word "red" by pointing to something that was not red? That would be as if one were to explain the word "modest" to someone whose English was weak, and one pointed to an arrogant man and said "That man is not modest". That it is ambiguous is no argument against such a method of definition. Any definition can be misunderstood.

But it might well be asked: are we still to call this "definition"?—For, of course, even if it has the same practical consequences, the same effect on the learner, it plays a different part in the calculus from what we ordinarily call "ostensive definition" of the word "red".

[...]

273. What am I to say about the word "red"?—that it means something 'confronting us all' and that everyone should have another word, besides this one, to mean his own sensation of red? Or is it like this: the word "red" means something known to everyone; and, in addition, for each person, it means something known only to him? (Or perhaps rather: it refers to something known only to him.)

Ludwig Wittgenstein Philosophical Investigations translated by GEM Anscombe, pp.14 and 95.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Bran:
Waxing philosophical about color. Impressive. Like your
new avatar.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Hello there again

Just trying to do the color thing

It is very new to me: first time.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Quote:
Could one define the word "red" by pointing to something that was not red? That would be as if one were to explain the word "modest" to someone whose English was weak, and one pointed to an arrogant man and said "That man is not modest". smile

273. What am I to say about the word "red"?—that it means something 'confronting us all' and that everyone should have another word, besides this one, to mean his own sensation of red? Or is it like this: the word "red" means something known to everyone; and, in addition, for each person, it means something known only to him? (Or perhaps rather: it refers to something known only to him.)

Ludwig Wittgenstein Philosophical Investigations translated by GEM Anscombe, pp.14 and 95.

Yes, the author is refering to Wittgenstein in his chapter and it is always amusing to think about the ambiguousness of definitions in general. I know all words, names and definitions are based on "agreement".

I've always liked thinking about these matters a lot and often played this game to observe things while thinking the name off (apart from the definition) and end up looking at the "whatever" as if I saw it for the first time. So that a simple teacup becomes an alien thing.
It makes one aware how comforting it is that we have language.I greatly liked that typical sentence: This pink (shade) is more like vermilion than is this black.

The special thing with colors is, that as far as I can think of, it is the only subject where I've noticed clear disagreements in perception between people. ( Mostly of course when colors are passing over from one to another, the "transition-zones".)

(In this whole subject btw the choice of the type of color is not important.)

Last edited by BranShea; 02/07/09 09:43 AM.
LukeJavan8 #182466 02/07/09 09:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

Waxing philosophical about color.

Well, with all respect, King of the Flat River, compliments are fine thanks but which waxing are you talking about in this quoted phrase?

WAXING, ppr. Growing; increasing; becoming; smearing with wax.
WAXING, n. In chemistry, the preparation of any matter to render it fit for melting; also, the process of stopping out colors in calico-printing.

1 a: to treat or rub with wax usually for polishing, stiffening, or reducing friction b: to apply wax to (as legs) as a depilatory
2: to record on phonograph records3slang : to defeat decisively (as in an athletic contest)

1.to increase in extent, quantity, intensity, power, etc.: Discord waxed at an alarming rate.

2. (of the moon) to increase in the extent of its illuminated portion before the full moon. Compare wane (def. 43.to grow or become: He waxed angry at the insinuation.

BranShea #182471 02/08/09 05:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Hi there !
Begging your pardon, mi'lady. This is a 'midwestern' term
for one, perhaps others know it too. But for sure it exists
in Flat River country. It is equivalent to when someone
notices you are in profound concentration. It is used instead
of something like "Where are you?" or "Earth to 'you" or
"a penny for your thoughts", or some such> to say you
are 'waxing philosophical' means that you are in the arms of
a muse somewhere, and are having deep and profound thoughts.
No harm intended, and nothing to do with the waxing definitions
you have above. Deep thoughts, mi'lady.

Hey I made Anu's AWAD again this week. He wrote me an email
asking info beforehand this time, however. I am honored.

LukeJavan8 #182475 02/08/09 09:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
"a penny for your thoughts."
Always knew that handwork pays better.
Hey I made Anu's AWAD again this week. He wrote me an email asking info beforehand this time, however. I am honored.
Just read it. Nice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 189 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith