Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
LukeJavan8 #182087 01/27/09 05:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Koine
It's handy Luke, to keep wikipedia as a favorite in your sideline.
Though not always 100% accurate it serves for first check ups.

Another one is OneLook:

onelook
on this page you can enter any word you want to know about and a whole list of online dictionaries turns up.

Last edited by BranShea; 01/27/09 06:18 PM.
LukeJavan8 #182110 01/28/09 01:17 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

And I believe the everyday spoken Greek was/is called Koine

Sort of. Mostly only after about the first century BC. And that's probably not what the speakers back then would have called it, any more than earlier eras thought of themselves as speaking "classical" language, or people at Shakespeare's time thought they were using "Elizabethan" English. It's a later designation in order to distinguish it from Classical or Byzantine or Modern Greek.

BranShea #182210 01/30/09 07:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Koine
It's handy Luke, to keep wikipedia as a favorite in your sideline.
Though not always 100% accurate it serves for first check ups.

Another one is OneLook:

onelook
on this page you can enter any word you want to know about and a whole list of online dictionaries turns up.

Thanks for the reference. I know Wiki is not always reliable. I remember the "koine' from
my scripture studies, thanks.

----please, draw me a sheep----
The Pook #182211 01/30/09 07:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: The Pook

And I believe the everyday spoken Greek was/is called Koine

Sort of. Mostly only after about the first century BC. And that's probably not what the speakers back then would have called it, any more than earlier eras thought of themselves as speaking "classical" language, or people at Shakespeare's time thought they were using "Elizabethan" English. It's a later designation in order to distinguish it from Classical or Byzantine or Modern Greek.

And I understand this too. I suppose one day we will think we are speaking 'correct'
English????

LukeJavan8 #182246 01/31/09 11:13 PM
P
P

I seem to remember the reverend who gave the invocation at
Obama's inauguration invoking Isai, Yeshua, Jesus, etc.
toward the end of the prayer. In a way, however, by doing
so he ignored many by remaining totally in his own faith.
Not bad necessarily, just interesting.

Actually, Pastor Warren invoked the name of Jesus relatively early in his prayer and, while doing so, personalized it so as to attempt to remove an offense against those who might not appreciate a specifically Christian prayer.

Ironically, there is something about Christian prayer that is overlooked in the entire discussion (debate? argument?) because of a general ignorance of Christian doctrine, especially within the media. The fact of the matter is that when a Christian prays, he always invokes the Triune God, (Father, Son and Holy Spirit,) whether the person specifically vocalizes the words "in the name of Jesus, etc." or not.

quizzersapru #182247 01/31/09 11:16 PM
P
P
Originally Posted By: quizzersapru
Well, I am not only interested in etymology, but am also a practising radiation oncologist. There are loads of medical books explaining the etymology of "cancer". "Cancer" or the Greek "Canker" means "crab". Although one is not certain who coined this term, most books agree on Galen (which is sort of ironic, as he was a Roman physician and chose a Greek root; but then doctors have always loved esoteria... :-) ) Anyway, the term comes from the descriptive pathology of a usual malignant tumour (malignant is important, because you cannot/should not term benign lesions as cancer; and more importantly, or relevantly, the ancient ones recognised the entity of malignant & benign, and chose to name only the malignant one as "cancer"!) which spreads its claws in all directions, much like a crab, and has a tenacious tendency to hold on to the parent tissue even when resected, again like the creature.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Has anyone connected the dots in this discussion by chasing down the possible link with the Zodiac? Why cancer?

PastorVon #182248 01/31/09 11:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The fact of the matter is that when a Christian prays, he always invokes the Triune God, (Father, Son and Holy Spirit)

I was under the impression that there were some non-trinitarian sects of Christianity about. Or are all the heretics extinct. (I thought of Arians (like Ulfilas the Goth) and the Ebionites.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #182249 01/31/09 11:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Me too. Non-trinitarians who, e.g., baptize only in the name
of the Lord Jesus. No trinity mentioned despite the words
of Jesus to 'baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Spirit?"

PastorVon #182254 02/01/09 03:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: PastorVon

Actually, Pastor Warren invoked the name of Jesus relatively early in his prayer and, while doing so, personalized it so as to attempt to remove an offense against those who might not appreciate a specifically Christian prayer.

I'm not sure what it was in his invocation that counts as invoking the name of Jesus early in the prayer unless it was the mention of "[a]lmighty God, our Father". Perhaps you can enlighten me.

zmjezhd #182257 02/01/09 06:49 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
The fact of the matter is that when a Christian prays, he always invokes the Triune God, (Father, Son and Holy Spirit)

I was under the impression that there were some non-trinitarian sects of Christianity about. Or are all the heretics extinct. (I thought of Arians (like Ulfilas the Goth) and the Ebionites.)

There are still plenty of non-Trinitarian groups around, such as Jehovah's Witnesses, Unitarians, United Pentecostals, etc. JW's are pretty similar to the ancient Arians in their doctrine of Jesus.

Last edited by The Pook; 02/01/09 06:50 AM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith