Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
Linux (Ubuntu, specifically) has become quite stable and reliable.
Coupled with OpenOffice, I no longer have a 'need' for any other OS (or Microsoft products).

"I am certain there is too much certainty in the world" -Michael Crichton
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Microsoft to release beta version of Windows 7 operating system on Friday link

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
zm thank you for those links. Sometimes I wish after having compiled 5400 entries I hadn't quit collecting neologisms but they simply accumulate too fast

Even in Word with instant editing capability

See "Chuckle..." under "Wordplay and fun"

dalehileman
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: etaoin
I know lots of Windows users, that with prudent use, have very few troubles with their machines.

Prudent Use = plain vanilla, do as you are told, only use MS products and never exercise anything like imagination or creativity?

You only have to visit Microsoft forums and newsgroups to see the thousands of disaffected and frustrated clients of Vista, many of whom are professional IT people and still can't make it do what it was meant to do. There are certain things, like mixed networking and driving a whole lot of very common brand peripherals, that Vista is even worse at than previous incarnations of the MS OS.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: The Pook
Originally Posted By: etaoin
I know lots of Windows users, that with prudent use, have very few troubles with their machines.

******As I had said, Mac is superior to Bill in almost all respects except editing, and most folk simply don't have much need for this capability and so once they have learned to cope with its inferior speed and need for virus protection, find it perfectly satisfactory. However, if you use Mail you will have noted it's impossible even to highlight-and-drag a phrase or para, where you have to instead resort to highlight, Cut, reposition, Paste. You have also probably noticed that in attempting to reposition a single word it doesn't work the same way each time compared with the instant dragging capability in Outlook

**That is because with Mac you need to observe a certain delay. You have to remember how long it is and where to insert it: before releasing the mouse key, after releasing it, during the second click before dragging, etc etc etc etc Little things like this could drive one up the proverbial digital wall

***Also in attempting to highlight you may have noticed that the shading doesn't always go where you want it but instead assumes a start position apparently at random

***If I have repeated myself forgive me, as newcomers often don't scan foregoing posts

Prudent Use = plain vanilla, do as you are told, only use MS products and never exercise anything like imagination or creativity?

***Sorry Pook but I'm not quite sure to whom this was meant to apply nor whether it was pejorative

You only have to visit Microsoft forums and newsgroups to see the thousands of disaffected and frustrated clients of Vista, many of whom are professional IT people and still can't make it do what it was meant to do.

****You are quite right about this, as confirmed by my very competent IT No. 1 Son Lee. Vista is so bad that at least one prestigious firm refuses to use it and insisted Microsoft return them to its former incarnation. This and virus immunity are the two chief reasons I switched over in spite of my objections to Mac. In time Mac will come to realize its mistake in respect of editing and provide a crossover to Word, as with Outlook, and that's one reason I'm sticking with it

There are certain things, like mixed networking and driving a whole lot of very common brand peripherals, that Vista is even worse at than previous incarnations of the MS OS.

*******No doubt. When Mac finally realizes its egregious error and provides some editing capability however, I'm sure I'll find it perfectly satisfactory

dalehileman
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith