Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I have a question concerning the past tense of text (as in text messaging). Text used to be a noun, but now it seems to be gaining currency as a verb, and there seems to be a debate over the past tense. I personally hate "texted" -- it hurts my ear. One wouldn't do the same thing with "I sent a letter" (lettered). I would say "I sent a text last night," but it seems that even some dictionaries are jumping on board with "texted." What is correct? Thank you so much -- my friend and I are trying to figure this out!

Lori

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's a rather common phenomenon in English for words to change their lexical category, either by affixing (class > classify) or zero morphology (e.g., love was originally just a noun < Old English lufu but now is a verb, too). That having been said, what's wrong with text as a verb? It fills a need and eschews periphrasis. For what's it worth, texted gets 2.42M ghits.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Yes, zmjezhd, I see your point. I guess it's a logical leap (painful ear aside!)...

L

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(painful ear aside!)

Over the years, I've noticed the reasons people give for the unacceptability of certain words, usages, meanings, etc. Grammatical, logical, semantic, and syntactic infelicities are the usual suspects, but to mind the only one I give pause to is aesthetic considerations in matters of usage. Take the oblique case of the pronoun who, whom. Its demise was mentioned by no less an English usage authority than HW Fowler back towards the beginning of the late, great, previous century, but people are still arguing about it and corrected one another, sometimes erroneously, here almost a hundred years later. I am personally not much bothered by folks saying who did he marry, while still managing to use the oblique form of who in written and spoken English. Though I have been a writer for a couple of decades now, I stop short of correcting people, except in a professional capacity as an editor (a job I do not relish and seldom do). I find that to do so in public just leads to ill feelings all around and that it is dangerous in private communication.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

And how would one stop using it as a verb even if one could,
albeit hurting the ears. "Uncomfortability" hurts my ears, e.g.
when discomfort is more pleasing and correct, yet tell that to
anyone in the psychiatric/therapy interviews done in the media.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
how about texd? flows a bit better to my ear, and we don't have enough words that have xd in them.

laugh

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Makes a lot of sense to me. I cannot think of a single word with
and xd in it.
I remember when Esso wanted a new name, they researched all
the world's languages with a double XX before coming up with
Exxon, with the double XX found only in Maltese, but no
word similar to Exxon.
So I'll buy into it!

----please, draw me a sheep----
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I like this solution!

L

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: SweetLoretta
there seems to be a debate over the past tense.

Lori

New vebs entering the English language, by whatever route, are almost always weak/regular, i.e., forming the past tense by adding -ed. Even new verbs that are identical to irregular verbs in their present and infinitival uses will be regular if they are formed from some other part of speech. E.g., the baseball term fly out, which is flied out in the past tense because the fly is from the fly of fly ball. Even a verb like input, which is from the noun, is often seen as inputted in the past tense.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>we don't have enough words that have xd in them.

well, there's taxdeferred and ex-dividend just for starters. cool

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith