Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
In other threads eta has expressed sympathy for my position, agreeing that certain features of Mac are bewildering and expressing that their correction should be a no-brainer. Hence the following somewhat incomplete but early-on book review

eta, seems that way to me too, leaving me with a distinctly uncomfortable feeling about the denizens of software. I get the distinct impression that they're a very isolated group who don't communicate much with ordinary folk like you and me...

...though I sense that in your infinite patience and tact you may be extraordinary in certain critical ways or at least moreso than I

As if to punctuate my observation, they have underlined "though" in the above paragraph even though its spelling is apparently OK. Mac habits such as that one are very distracting. I'm still struggling with highlight-and drag, however, and hope in a week or two to master the technique

And as if to punctuate the above punctuation, one of my objections to Mac was an inability to transfer personal editing macros (from Word) into the Entourage taskbar. I just couldn't believe it when I found they don't appear automatically as they did in Windows/Word/Outlook. So I might learn how it's done, IT No. 1 Son kindly sent me a 428-page book entitled "Mac OS x 10.5 Leopard." But I couldn't even find "Macros" in its index

Therefore I determined to read the entire book, starting on page 4 where it's supposed to tell me how to get to the "Finder" or "rosetta" sub-window from the Desktop. But I didn't find "roseta" in the Desktop, just a big astronomical blur radiating out from a central position; beautiful but otherwise worthless. Still I entertained hope because the illustration on page 4 refers me to page 5...

...where to find the Finder I was instructed to "Single-click on any blank area of the Desktop." Accordingly I did so but nothing happened; so I am stuck on page 5

So in frustration I turned back to page 3, where I was advised, "If you're brand new to computers in general [which I apparently am, having only 17 years' experience in the realm], I strongly suggest you use The Little Mac Book...instead of this book..."

If there are 428 pages in each tome and if I don't get stuck on every fifth page, and if I can manage one page every day, it might take me 2-1/2 years to learn how to get my macros into Entourage..Am I alone in my frustration

Why do they hate us so

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
assuming that you actually have the Leopard release of Mac OS X installed (never assume anything, tsuwm), perhaps you will find this to be helpful:
guided tour

(Finder is like the second topic covered.)

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
tsu thank you for that link. I have no idea what's been installed but my IT No. 1 Son will no doubt advise on this point

dalehileman
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
tsu I went to Guided Tour but I was overwhelmed, it's like walking into a library but thank you anyhow

But can't somebody help me out, I can't believe I'm the only AWAD participant who has switched to Mac but using Entourage sorely misses his Word personal taskbar editing macros

What's really appalling is when I click on Help and enter "macros" I get "No Results Found". It's as if Mac doesn't even recognize the term

Maybe it's because technically they're not all macros but many are simply keyboard strokes (eg, backspace, spacebar, return, delete word, change case, etc) and so maybe I should look 'em up under a different heading, whatsay

Thanks all

dalehileman

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 558 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith