Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Here's another apparent habit of Mac: You're working in window A when you have to bring up document B--say, for reference. But when you're done with B and exit, you find that A has also been deleted

For instance, you are writing a post in AWAD when you need to look up a phrase, whereupon you access Google, perform the required entries, then click on an appropriate hit. But when you attempt to return you find that Mac has exited AWAD, whereupon you have to open it again, but of course your post has now vanished

Yet after retyping as much as you can remember of the original post, you had forgotten what you had learned in Google. This time, however, you're getting smarter; so when you need to look up the phrase a second time you first copy your post for easy retrieval in case Mac exits AWAD a second time

But when you return to Google you find that all your entries here also have been deleted. Am I the only Mac convert in our entire membership to struggle with problems of this sort

Thanks everyone for all your patient attention and your past help in such matters as drive this old codger to distraction

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
when you say "exit" what do you mean?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dale, I googled "mac for switchers" and got several (many) good hits. a little time taken to read up on the differences, and ideas and tips from other switchers will do you a world of good.

formerly known as etaoin...
veteran
veteran
Most systems have idiosyncrasies that are irritating to those who are not inured to them. We tolerate a certain level of stupidity, because we do not recognize it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
Most systems have idiosyncrasies that are irritating to those who are not inured to them. We tolerate a certain level of stupidity, because we do not recognize it.

I am inured to Vista but still find its idiosyncrasies annoying, every day! mad

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Dale
hit history and select the internet spot you want to jump back to. May work.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: etaoin
when you say "exit" what do you mean?

Good question. With the help of my No. 2 Son yesterday I have learned the difference between the red dot and the yellow one. Red exits one utterly whereas yellow closes the window but sets a Finder icon for easy retrieval

(...having just learned this morning that Apple+N does approximately the same thing as the yellow dot)

However we were yet unable to get the Finder Window shown on page 4 of the Leopard book

We have mastered the Menu Bar but are still baffled by the Browser Tabs immediately below it, described on page 130. If I can manage one page a day I will reach it about March 2009

dalehileman
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: The Pook
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend

I am inured to Vista but still find its idiosyncrasies annoying, every day! mad

My problem is not stupidity but incompetence and possibly the onset of senility

Vista has a terrible reputation and may be Microsoft's untimate downfall

Incidentally speaking of idiosycracies, the green dot seems almost worthless without means for full-screen window, leaving it hard to believe Mac hasn't been inundated by complaints

dalehileman
Zed #180607 11/27/08 04:30 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: Zed
Dale
hit history and select the internet spot you want to jump back to. May work.

No. 2 Son and I tried your suggestion and were elated to its potential for which thank you

However we were sorely disappointed after inadvertently hitting the red dot when using that facility we were duly returned to the window we had lost but the post in process had been deleted. Mac, if you are reading this thread, AWAD has many participants with suggestions you might profitably adopt. For example we would suggest additional helpful uses for the internal hard drive

...while we cordially suggest you hire no more programmers fired from Microsoft

dalehileman
old hand
old hand
sick mad crazy
Green dot; red dot; yellow dot

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,342
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 491 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith