About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#18013 02/08/01 01:42 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thanks, belligerentyouth for the link. The discussion of color perception and language reminded me of a puzzler which has bothered me for years: Why, do you suppose, is pastel red such a significant color in English that it has its own term, "pink," while other pastels are merely called pastel yellow, pastel blue ....

And of troy, you are absolutely right about "autism" being a spot on a bell curve. "Autism" itself encompasses conditions which can be described on a bell curve, from profound autism to those we merely think a bit odd in some respects, and that curve fits in turn into a larger curve describing a larger portion of humanity. I have contemplated whether certain other family members would have been classified as autistic had they had more profound language difficulties. My own son's form, hyperlexia, has a couple of quirks, such as a tendency to large size (used by one nuerologist as a diagnostic tool). He was 23" long and 10 lbs 4 oz at birth, and hasn't looked back.

#18014 02/08/01 02:03 PM
old hand
old hand
In reply to:

He was 23" long and 10 lbs 4 oz at birth...

Please extend my sympathies to your wife.

Ouch.

P.S. My apologies... Sparteye corrected me that my sympathies are better extended to *her*. Funny the assumptions one makes from a gender-neutral log-in identity ~

#18015 02/08/01 04:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
prejudice make us want to tighten up the bell curve, and bring the extremes closer to the mean– but I think the human reality is a very broad flat curve.. with extremes very far from the mean– and still part of the continuum.
Naming things is one way we enforce our prejudices.

Helen, you have spoken the truth, esp. that last sentence.
We've had many discussions on politically-incorrect names and why they are incorrect, so it isn't necessary for me to go into that here. Some of our name-calling is deliberately hurtful, and some is not. (And, incidentally, this doesn't need to be actual name-calling to be hurtful--it can be simply an association with something negative.)

Humanity is indeed a broad curve of variations. I think it would be very interesting to read (I'm not suggesting a new thread, just wondering if there have been studies done that are available) what a number of individuals define as
"normal". I'd bet money that no two would match!

I would like to add, however, that prejudice isn't
necessarily the only reason we'd like others to be like ourselves (or vice versa, more commonly, perhaps?). Fear can play a part in this, too, though I suppose fear really is at the root of prejudices, if we but admit it.

I wonder, sometimes, if we'll ever figure ourselves out:
on the one hand, we want to be "like" everybody else; yet on the other, we want recognition/rewards for some of the things that make us different from everyone else!

#18016 02/08/01 05:30 PM
old hand
old hand
In reply to:

I think it would be very interesting to read (I'm not suggesting a new thread, just wondering if there have been studies done that are available) what a number of individuals define as
"normal".

I recently read a quote... "The only normal people are the ones you don't know." Can't recall who said it, but clearly it was someone wise ~

#18017 02/08/01 11:13 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I asked a variant of this question (the original topic) of Steven Pinker tonight - check the transcript if interested.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I resurrect this thread (on its anniversary) not only for its relevancy to the twist taken in Dr. Bill's Fabulous Word List thread in I&A but because I wanted to comment on Bobyb's observation:

The French "vous" used for a polite form is the plural, but it didn't come to be the polite singular form the same way the English plural came to be used for singular. It comes from the old practice of Highly-placed Persons referring to themselves in the plural ("We are not amused") and their inferiors addressing them in the plural.

This is exactly the way Shakespeare used the words thou/thee and ye/you. Read his plays and notice that when people are speaking up (e.g., peasant to lord or lord to king) they use ye/you but when speaking down they use thou/thee.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 729 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith