Next Thread
Print Thread
#180052 11/03/08 05:30 PM
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
I could not disagree more with the argument on usage included with this entry. I am committed to the belief that a preposition is an introduction to a modifying phrase, not an alternative adjective. The example given, highlighted even better by the ubiquitous "Where are you at?", is sloppy writing or speaking, nothing more, nothing less. As to splitting infinitives. the same accusation applies. An extraneous adverb does not contribute well to the meaning of a sentence. If an adverb is needed, it belongs after a verb.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's a good place to start reading up on the history of the this grammatical superstition (link). And, coincidentally, Stephen Fry has a blog entry that addresses the true magic of words (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Stephen Fry. Fantastic. Can that man roll on about language and what not.(thanks for the link Zmjehzd) I have to keep the second half for later. Amazing.

"For the meantime, seal it in a baggie and stash it in your hoodie. Or fold it in scented tissue and lay it tenderly in your hope chest, according to taste."

I'm following the weekly BBC program 'Fry in America'.Very sympathetic. Very nice.(You can find sequences on Youtube)

Last edited by BranShea; 11/03/08 07:01 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Stephen Fry rocks. there's a great video (you can find it on youtube) from Fry and Laurie about language. rolling on the floor laughing funny.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Hold the news reader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers."

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
From zmjezhd's link above:

Quote:
(2a) That tiny hole is the place which the mouse escaped from.
(2b) That tiny hole is the place from which the mouse escaped.
(2c) That tiny hole is the place wherefrom the mouse escaped.

(3a) My car was broken into last night.

(3b) Somebody broke into my car last night.

In (2a), if you're into which-hunting, since the phrase 'the mouse escaped from' is restrictive, it should be introduced by that, not which. This means that after moving the preposition forward to where it allegedly belongs, you would have the sentence
Quote:
(2b) That tiny hole is the place from that the mouse escaped.

In the case of the sentences (3a) and (3b) I would suggest that the word into is not a preposition but the particle of a phrasal verb. In this case it is not one that can be put at the end of a sentence. We have

(3a) My car was broken into last night.

but not

*(3c) My car was broken last night into.

This is unlike the pair

(4a) Jack and Jill ran up a big bill.

(4b) Jack and Jill ran a big bill up.

In this case up is not a preposition but the particle of a phrasal verb, one that can be moved to the end of the sentence.

As for the split infinitives it is not difficult to find examples where the so-called rule leaves us with sentences that cannot be expressed properly without splitting the infinitive. The sentence will either say something that is not meant or will be hopelessly clunky.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
"Hold the news reader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers."

makes me laugh every time. I can read it ten times in a row and I still laugh each time.

formerly known as etaoin...

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,343
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 757 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith