Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
arfname

not too much commentary from on high; no one hogged the voting, and the hogmaster got the rare skunk. although, in the interest of full disclosure, BranShea originally submitted this def’n:
 Quote:
x) a (regional) synonym for heir-at-law, legal heir

which I disallowed with the usual peremptoriness; “it's indecently close to the real meaning -- so much so that you must have based it on some cross-linguistic knowledge.” she replied, “That's it, Michael. At least I had a strong, what does AnnaS call it morphomeme (?) feeling about it. You see, we have the word erfgenaam (meaning legal-heir or heir at law) . Arf and name come close to that as you can see. So I was directly set on something with heritage and name.” in the event, she magnanimously voted for Jackie’s effort.

the only other issue I had was with the wording of Faldage’s entry, which he patiently explained to me and which needed no exegesis for eta and olly.

so, kudos to BranShea, Faldage, twosleepy, and Jackie, who each garnered two(2) votes.

a) a name given to a foundling; after the place or region where it was found [submitted by BranShea] voted for by Fauve, The Pook

b) a short vertical support member in a dome joining the pin to the floorboard [Faldage] etaoin, olly

c) a strong smelling plant resin used as a spice in Eastern cookery [The Pook] Owlbow

d) Cockney rhyming slang meaning fame [consuelo] twosleepy

e) an artform in which coffee-stained pieces of paper are glued together to form a pattern [Fr Steve] Faldage

f) a thought that is on the tip of your tongue but eludes definition [olly]

g) the eldest son (from Old West Low Franconian arf, eldest + name, masc. namesake) [ASp] consuelo

h) a temporary name of affection given to an unborn child until a permanent name is decided upon (from French oeuf, egg) [twosleepy] Fr Steve, ASp

i) arf-nà-may an Indian dish consisting of a mixture of rice and lentils with seasonings [Jackie] inselpeter, Branshea

j) jocular: a Registered Kennel Name, as sanctioned by the Registered Kennel Name Program [tsuwm] Jackie

k) exceptional, extraordinary [inselpeter]

l) the love of mountain climbing [Owlbow]

m) one who inherits, an heir (from ON arfr, inheritance + OE numa, taker) [OED online]
_____

you may now proceed with your post analysis..

the hogmaster™
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
HEY! So how come you rejected my original entry, Fido??? I was absolutely certain, because of that, that the Kennel Club entry was the right one!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Fido

I must have, in my deranged state, thought that my own entry was more.. complete?

(or I remembered those times that you had spoiled my shutout, one)

Last edited by tsuwm; 09/25/08 03:04 AM. Reason: truthiness
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[helpless laughter e] Ok, ok, I still love you!

old hand
old hand
The only reason I didn't vote for m) was that I thought the mix of half Old Norse and half Old English in a word sounded phony. Doh!

Well done. I think having no one pick the right definition should be worth five points, since it almost never happens.

Last edited by The Pook; 09/25/08 04:19 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
HEY! So how come you rejected my original entry, Fido??? I was absolutely certain, because of that, that the Kennel Club entry was the right one!

Arfnà-may ! This is weird one of a hogwash.
All the time I thought ASps entry was tsuwms fake one and I could not understand why stuwm had chosen a Def. so close to his
official one.
I even had to look twice when they came out for which one of the two was real. ASp was pretty close!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
I thought the mix of half Old Norse and half Old English in a word sounded phony.

Except ON was one of the more important influences on English.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
I thought the mix of half Old Norse and half Old English in a word sounded phony.

Except ON was one of the more important influences on English.

Yes I know that, but it still sounded unusual.

Old Norse gave us words ranging from weather terms like storm, and emotions like anger, to oft used words such as Wednesday Thursday, & Friday; most personal pronouns beginning with 'th'; and a host of everyday household items and culinary terms like egg and cake. Not to mention oft itself of course! Without ON we wouldn't have a leg to stand on, nor could we skin a cat or let it out of the bag. Old Norse rocks!

Last edited by The Pook; 09/25/08 02:15 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Towards the tail-end of the last millennium, I obtained a degree in what would best be described as Germanic Philology (but it was simply called German). I studied Old Norse (Icelandic), Old and Middle English, and Old High German, among others....

After trying to sweat out morphemes to no avail, I turned in for what was sure to be a sleepless night. Lo, arf bubbled up from the memory swamp in the middle of the night! My guess was so close to the correct one that maybe tsuwm shouldn't have thrown it a bone. Yet it just goes to show what a well-rounded liberal arts education will do for you. Y'all want fries with that?

Hey, Pook, I think it's time for you to host a Hogwash.

F
F
I'm giving myself .5 of a point for having mentioned M in my original answer and minus 25 points for not having chosen it! \:\(

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith