Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
stranger
stranger
D
hogwash
n noun informal nonsense.

ORIGIN
C15 (meaning 'kitchen swill for pigs'): from hog + wash.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
...I do believe you have captured the sense of the word that is being using here ! \:D

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
nota bene: Friday marks the end of the se'nnight..

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, Display Name. Your syntax is exceptionally good for someone who's (presumably) only studied English for 4 years. What excellent university did you attend?

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: DisplayName
Please, what are you talking about? Can anybody explain in simple words until I get the spirit of "the language"?!

Hogwash is the game that I simply know as 'The Dictionary Game' when I have played it face-to-face.

The 'Hogmaster' chooses a word from a dictionary that is not well known. Then the other players make up definitions for it. All the definitions, including the correct one, are shown, and everyone (except the hogmaster) votes for what they think is the dictionary definition. You score points if someone guesses your made up definition as the real one. You also score points if you guess the correct definition. And the hogmaster scores points if no one guesses the dictionary definition.

Obviously when played online the game works on the 'honour system' - that is, of course you could easily cheat by looking the word up, but that would be no fun at all.

Hope this helps.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: The Pook

The 'Hogmaster' chooses a word from a dictionary that is not well known.

It is the word that is not well known, not the dictionary. I only add this comment for the sake of DisplayName, who is not entirely at home in the English language.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I have submitted my bucket of swill for consideration.
Thank you hogmaster

D
stranger
stranger
D
Thank you for your help. But I don't think that definitions' conception is an easy task, especially if i have to make up dico-like ones. I'll try to take time to read your contributions to understand better and approach your way of thinking. Does the word fun require at least a smile? :)or It means just spending time on definition formation?!

D
stranger
stranger
D
I 've studied English 3 years in the Middle School, 3 years in the High School, 4 years in the University. But I still lack practice because I think that production "performance" is more important than reception "competence". You know that studies in the middle and high schools aren't "very high level". We study the basic elements of the language and we usually do not assimilate them all.

I would be pleased if you could correct my writing and help me out with the most used structures to make my English seem the outcome of a professional if not a native speaker and not only a learner.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
once again, I respectfully suggest that Q&A about words may be a more appropriate forum/venue for this sort of thing. Wordplay and fun can really be pretty advanced, in the event -- but if you feel that's where you are, fine.

>Does the word fun require at least a smile?

ofttimes we take our fun very seriously here.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith