Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
BranShea #170979 10/29/07 06:46 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
lots of interjections can be found in any usable dictionary: OSPD, collegiate dictionaries, etc.

-joe (egads) friday

tsuwm #170980 10/29/07 07:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
First I'll have to look up interjection to see if it means what I think it means. Then I'll check the interjections. Benevolent--- -i-n-t-e-r-j-e-c-t-i-o-n (it does)

EGAD
Interjection
1. An exclamation expressing exultation or surprise, etc.

Source: Webster's

Last edited by BranShea; 10/29/07 07:17 PM.
tsuwm #170984 10/29/07 08:03 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
>
that's the issue of my original post. if you use the OSPD, you'll be faced with accepting two-letter words such as AA AB AE AG AL BA BI DE ED ES ET FE HM JO KA KI MM MO NA NE OD OE OI OM OP OW OY QI UM UN XU YA and ZA. how many of these do you commonly use or see?

All of these are in the online dictionary I use for the game, but few in the (outdated) official scrabble dictionary I use at home. Also, they make a big deal about the fact that the Brits normally use a more extensive dictionary.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Then some of the Greek letters have a life of their own beyond their mere existence as Greek letters. Pi, phi, and theta come to mind.

Faldage #171014 10/30/07 11:19 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Then some of the Greek letters have a life of their own beyond their mere existence as Greek letters. Pi, phi, and theta come to mind.

Yip. Exactly. We don't even think of them as Greek letters, per se. We use them interchangeably with typewriter symbols; however, because they are not easy to type, we often write 'phi' instead of using "insert symbol" or "insert special character" or "alt-1000" (Φ). Of course we use pi to represent the ratio of Circumference to Diameter, which was known to the ancient Greeks to be constant. Phi is often used to mean the Golden Ratio, but more often an angle in 3D polar coordinates (along with theta).

As you're aware, though, the same can't be of Romance symbols that are used like this, though! When we talk about the speed of light (SOL) in a vacuum, we write 'c' and not 'cee.' We talk about 'm' (for mass) and not 'em'. In one sense, this is inconsistent. However, in the sense that we are attempting to conserve keystrokes, it's consistent.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The actual Greek letters aren't always readily available. Particularly if you are limited to a typewriter (as we were back in the good old days) you had to spell out the Greek letters with the roman alphabet.

Faldage #171053 10/31/07 05:30 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My mom and I allow the OSPD in our friendly games. They are small enough you don't need a crane to lift them and, most importantly, it's house rules. If it ain't in there, you cain't use it. We have several editions and use all of them if necessary. Mom used to play with a neighbor that combed massive dictionaries and had a handwritten notebook of all the two and three letter combinations she called "words", saying "Well, they're in the dictionary." I trained my friend Ruby to play the friendly way as well. What I can't stand is someone agonizing for 15-20 minutes on every single play and then tightening up the board so you are lucky if you can find a spot for two or three letters. When Ruby gets in this mode, we have to play a couple of Speed Scrabbles without scoring, just to loosen things up, like my frustration levels
Edit 1 I forgot the P.
Edit 2 Ach! I forgot one of my favorite things...theme Scrabble. It's fun for the first word to set the theme. Naturally, there will be some plays that can't follow the theme, but it's the effort that counts.

Last edited by consuelo; 10/31/07 05:40 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
>
that's the issue of my original post. if you use the OSPD, you'll be faced with accepting two-letter words such as AA AB AE AG AL BA BI DE ED ES ET FE HM JO KA KI MM MO NA NE OD OE OI OM OP OW OY QI UM UN XU YA and ZA. how many of these do you commonly use or see?

All of these are in the online dictionary I use for the game, but few in the (outdated) official scrabble dictionary I use at home. Also, they make a big deal about the fact that the Brits normally use a more extensive dictionary.

You missed Ai - a three toed sloth. Is that not in that dictionary?

Jackie #173923 02/23/08 01:44 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Jackie
I was fascinated by those rules, tsuwm, though I've never been in a Scrabble club. I enjoy playing when I get the chance, but I don't like to play for points. To me, the 'point' is for all the tiles to be (legally) used. If they are, then everybody wins.

For me the point is to win the game and at the same time show how clever you are by making the most interesting, bizarre and disputed words on the way, making two three or four words at once with obscure two letter ones, and getting all your letters out in one go at least once during the game!

Me? competitive?? Not me!

Seriously, though, I'm not into competition scrabble and arguing over what dictionary is allowed, etc. I just play between friends and family, and we use whatever is on hand and/or whatever words players can convince us really are words.

On the issue of greek letters, they are allowed because they are used in English for symbols. I wouldn't normally allow the spelling of English letters because that is not standardised, and there is no reason to spell a letter. And is Zed allowed in the U.S. and Zee allowed in Britain? And is it ef or eff? el or ell? em or emm? en or enn? and how do you spell 'q'? kew? They are not really spellings, but phonetic representations of the sounds we make when we say the names of the letters. Z is really spelt Z.

Last edited by The Pook; 02/23/08 01:52 AM.
The Pook #173935 02/23/08 02:43 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Hmmm. I like playing Scrabble but rarely get a chance to.

Only once have I played with an overly-competitive person; who got up and flipped the whole board when I used a word he didn't know.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith