Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Einstein, Schmeinstien. The question is not what causes the illusion of the change of direction of her spin. but what causes the illusion of a direction at all.

old hand
old hand
It's all relative isn't it?

T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Einstein, Schmeinstien. The question is not what causes the illusion of the change of direction of her spin. but what causes the illusion of a direction at all.

Faldage, Faldage, Faldage. If there is percieved movement at all it must be directional. All movement is directional. Change in form is what causes the silhouetted girl (girl to be sure) to appear to turn. But the direction of her turn is Einstonian-Schmeistonian, that is, the direction of movement is relative to the viewer.

Get in bed, Faldage. Now rotate your left foot counterclockwise. Now look at the shadow of your rotating foot on the far wall. See? It is rotating counterclockwise too.
Ok, keep rotating your foot and twist your body and head untill you are looking back at your rotating foot. Yes, now your foot is rotating clockwise but when you turn head and look at the shadow of your foot on the far wall it still rotates counterclockwise.

Now unfold yourself and ask yourself why does the silhouetted girl have a foot shadow?

After about 20 minuites you will say "Ah Ha!" and then you will smile and shout " Milo! You magnificient basta...I mean, Milo! I read your book."

Last edited by themilum; 10/15/07 01:23 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So Mr. one stone Schmone stone, why is her pony tail leading irregardles of whether or not she's spinning in your tiny little red-blooded Amerikan brain or my tiny little great-nephew of the erstwhile head of the CPUK brain?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Knitter answers: Pony tail is too close to the central vertical axis, head has no effect. For turns ,shifts and regular shifts focus loosely on more outward details (hands,elbows),shift your focus slightly all the time; observe and do not think,(if one can manage that)it's easyly trainable. I may assume to much, but it works. When you focus on the head she keeps turning one way.

Yes, I'm fond of optical illusions.

Last edited by BranShea; 10/15/07 03:27 PM.
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
My apologies, I focused on only one misleading visual trick while the instigators of the twirling girl included several.

Yes, I approached the truth and but then turned away smug.

Now I see that the illusion works because the human mind tries to transform the visual odd into the visual familiar to facilitate infomation processing.

I only focused on the Coriolis effect of the circling i.e. when the shadow of the girl's foot turned clockwise I corrected for the girl's apparent motion and saw her turning counter-clockwise. But it turns out that the devious plan of this study was to disrupt conceptualizations by changing "several" key visual clues as she spun.

I promise I will never be wrong again.

Last edited by themilum; 10/15/07 10:50 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Faldage

okay, I focused really, really hard on the outstretched leg, and for the briefest moment she switched from clockwise to anticlockwise. and I mean briefest! I think it was a trick of the mind.

-joe (addlepated) friday

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
This computer is slower and she mves in pieces, by squinting, talking myself through it and trying really hard I can make her switch but only when her foot is at the extreme right on the page.

A lot of work for the result.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It is a trick of the mind. Maybe you and Zed tried too hard.
Keep your eyes shifting all the time. You need not focus on one part. Sooner the contrary. Shift eyes till you turn the movement.
Concious level low.The left-right-left shift is a bit of work and a bit harder to hold.
That would be phase 2.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>It is a trick of the mind.

d'oh.

-ron o.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith