Next Thread
Print Thread
#169155 07/12/07 03:02 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Okay here are the results of this round of hogwash. I gave away some hints along the way but in retrospect I think that they were too obscure. The first hint was the bastardized quotation from the movie “Dirty Harry,” ending with Harry’s famous taunt, “Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?” This was reinforced with the phrase “BTW the pig’s name is Harry” in one of my subsequent posts. Finally, choice “M” among your definitions – which was written primarily in jest with no hope of garnering votes – contained a very tongue-in-cheek reference to one “Harold Le Sale” of medieval France, “Le Sale” meaning “The Dirty.” Harolde the Dirty, get it?

So what does the flinty-eyed Dirty Harry have to do with our mystery word, “dariole”? To understand this one must look to the world of French cinema and understand its relationship to Dirty Harry and vice versa. “Dirty Harry,” an as-yet-unhailed masterpiece of cinema, contained many artistic nods to French film, as director Don Siegel was a great admirer of the genre, especially the work of French director Jean-Luc Godard. Indeed Siegel was such a fan of Godard that he incorporated an Americanized version of a speech from Godard’s “Breathless.” Yes, you guessed it, the “do you feel lucky” speech. In “Breathless,” the character Michael is shooting a gun at darioles that have been laid out on a row of garbage cans. He is interrupted by a gendarme, and Michael turns the gun on him and confesses that he can’t remember how many times he has fired the revolver, and he taunts the policeman, calling him une dariole, not only implying that he too is a target but also that, as a small baking dish for desserts, he is rather frivolous and even effeminate. Truly, these are fightin' words en Francaise.

Now, that this scene ended up on the cutting room floor (and, I might add, the fact this whole story is entirely untrue) makes the reference difficult to unravel by participants in our round of hogwash, but American director Don Siegel was aware of it by way of a private screening. But surprisingly, two of our voters correctly solved the mystery, owing either to extensive use of Netflix or else to a deep familiarity with French cuisine. Musick’s ruse of “the return of a boxed eave in a gabled roof” earned the most votes, three. Musick wins the latest release from the Criterion Collection, the collected short films of Gilbert Gotfried.

(a) a traditional horse race in Iran since the reign of the Darius Kings in ancient Persia
created by BranShea
voted for by xxxxxx

(b) one of the moves taught to Lippizan stallions
created by Jackie
voted for by TEd Remington, themilum, 2 votes

(c) a tart plate landaise with prunes; made world-famous by French chef Nicole Gauduchou
created by themilum
voted for by Jackie

(d) [OF darïole] a cylindrical dessert mold used in French cookery
correct definition
voted for by tsuwm, AnnaStrophic, 2 votes

(e) n. [ON. daruhl] protruding ring formed on a tree where a limb is severed
created by Aramis
voted for by wofahulicodoc, etaoin, 2 votes

(f) an Irish dance step similar to the slip jig, but of a slower tempo
created by Owlbow
voted for by xxxxxxxxx

(g) the return of a boxed eave in a gabled roof
created by Musick
voted for by Owlbow, Faldage, belMarduk, 3 votes

(h) the center section of the large outer flower of a yellow composite, comprising the small inner flowers
created by Faldage
voted for by musick, Aramis, 2 votes

(i) small incision in burlap for attaching a grommet
created by AnnaStrophic
voted for by xxxxxxxxx

(j) congenital prolapsed uterus
created by TEd Remington
voted for by xxxxxxxxx

(k) a protuberance above the coccyx due to excessive abdominal exercise
created by olly
voted for by xxxxxxxxx

(l) a small Indian tree which yields a soft wood valued for carving
created by tsuwm
voted for by xxxxxxxxx

(m) the specialized hinge at the elbow on French medieval armor, named after its chief proponent, the Viscount Da Riolé, the noted swordsman and raconteur who formed the basis for the fictional character Harolde Le Sale.
created by Mr. Tung N. Cheek
voted for by olly, BranShea 2 votes

Last edited by Alex Williams; 07/13/07 12:44 AM.
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Terrific. I like it Alex, especially that explanation on the clues and how you got to them. Five stars!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yep; applause!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
<bowing>

Thank you very much <said with Elvis *accent>

My 95 year old house has eave returns which I just happened to be researching (they are in need of repair) when this latest hogscrub came about. There doesn't seem to be a *real word for them other than the description... from what I could find.

There is now.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Alex, you take Hogs to a new level. Thanks for the divertimento.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,337
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 680 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,544
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith