Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I have a friend who is named 'Ouchy' (ooshi). Apparently her mother visited Switzerland and fell in love with the place-name. My friend has was born in Australia and daily puts up with a pronunciation problem: Australians tend naturally to read her name as the adjectival form of the English interjection for pain, "ouch!"

Does the name have any meaning? There is another meaning for "ouch" in English, meaning brooch, clasp, or ornament, which derives at least in part from the French. Is this heading in the right direction, or was Ouchy named for some other reason?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hello Bruce,

As far as I have searched through ecyclopedia and dictionaires available there is no other meaning to be found but this little town in the vicinity of Lausanne;

Uochy page: Ouchy

And a close look at Ouchy Castle:

Ouchy Castle

If your friend would write her name just as : Ooshi. no one would call her Ouch! any more. Ooshi sounds nice to me. And then anyone can change a prenom at any time.

M
addict
addict
M
I'm afraid Ouchy is going to be called ouchie outside Australia as well. (Need a bandaid?)

Several articles state that the tower/castle there was built by l'Évêché de Lausanne in 1170, but none seem to say why it's called Ouchy. I wonder if Ouchy could be a "corruption" of Évêché.

According to fr.wikipedia.org via babelfish.altavista.com,
Quote:
Évêché is the episcopal see of a bishop.

However, two directions apply in this term:

Episcopal city where a bishop lives and where finds the cathedral of a diocese;
Usual residence of a bishop, located in this same city.
Caution: évêché and diocese are not synonymous (against example are the 9 évêchés of Brittany).

If my wild guess is true, your friend named her child Bishopric. I think I'd rather be called ouchie.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Toponomie

Ouchy (LD-VD) . Le nom de cet ancien village, qui fait maintenant partie de la commune de Lausanne, a été Osciacum au XIe siècle (Oschye en 1170, Oschie en 1228). Osciacum est un composé gaulois latinisé ; de oxso– « le bœuf » et –iacon « là où il y a… ». La compréhension de l’expression gauloise *oxs–iacon = « là où il y a des bœufs », « le pâturage », oblige à réviser les définitions des mots romans osche et oiche, donnés comme « terre labourable entourée de clôtures » (DAFMA). L’option « pâturage » devra être proposée pour les lieux–dits et noms de villes comme Ouches ou Houches. (So pastures for places called Uoches or Houches.)

No évêque, Myridon. But a gaulish latin combination meaning:
<< where cows are >> , << the pastures >>

I still am of opinion that Ooshi is a pretty name with a little Japanese association.

oxso- <<the cow>> and -iacon <<there where are>>... became Ouchy.

M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted By: BranShea
But a gaulish latin combination meaning:

I'd translate that as a Latinized Gallic compound (ox being a Germanic root).

So, she's named the child Vaccary - that's a tiny bit better.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> Latinized Gallic <
Yes, you are right. That's a tiny nit better.
Vaccary or pastures/ pâturage.
It is the topic maker's girlfriend, for whom the question was asked. It would have been nice if the search had given a word that brought up a more pleasing name.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I knew an exchange student when I was in high school named Ooshi. but I don't think that's how she spelled it, now that I write it out... I always think of her, or at least those days, when I hear the Journey song Opened the Door. there's a line, "ooh, she opened up the door,"...

formerly known as etaoin...
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
My thanks to you all. That certainly clarifies things. Interestingly, looking up 'vaccary' turned up http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-vac1.htm. I think I'll stick to "pasture".

Poor girl. Some parents just don't seem to consider the long term.

Thanks again,
Bruce.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A name that sets my teeth on edge every time I even think about it is Picabo, as in Picabo Street (the skier...or former skier now, perhaps?). Is it pronounced like it looks, pih-KAH-bow (bow as in bow and arrow), which would be nothing more than unusual? No; acc'g. to the sportscaster, her parents thought it would be cute to pronounce it peekaboo. [gnashing teeth e]

EDIT: just noticed this ad below, ending in:
---disposophobia.com

Is disposophobia a real word?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is disposophobia a real word?

well its now been used twice, no make that 3 times..
once in the ad, once when you questioned it, once in my answer.

how much usage is needed to make it real?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Four. [evil grin e]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Heh? Disposophobia jumped threads? The other one getting too crowded with hoardings?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
From wikipedia entry on P. Street:

Her given name was inspired by the nearby Idaho town of Picabo, Idaho, (pronounced "PEEK-uh-boo"), which in turn takes its name from a Native American word meaning "shining waters".

Whenm she was au courant, the story was that the 'rents had not given her a name at birth but allowed her to choose her own when she became old enough to talk. Sounded too glib back then, even.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sorry , a little streak of displaceophobia.

My granddaughter's name is Iona , named after a little island west of the Scottish coast. Like Ouchy, a romantic honyemoon trip result. (Both granddaugher and name)

Last edited by BranShea; 05/30/07 08:44 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith