Next Thread
Print Thread
#167318 04/04/07 07:46 PM
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I am curious to know if there is any connection between the words for father and mother in various languages. When I spent five years as a missionary/teacher in the country of Laos, I learned that their word for mother was mee, pronounced with a short e (like the beginning of the word met). Their word for father is pa (pronounced paw).

In Navajo the word for my mother is shima (emphasis on the second syllable). Their word for my father is shizhe'e with the emphasis and tone marks on both e's (short e). It might be interesting to research the words for mother and father in European languages, because there may be other similarities.
Sincerely,
Rosemary Watson, Broken Arrow, OK

T
veteran
veteran
T
Hello languagelover, you'll see a commonality with the folks here.

Off the cuff...

The more basic the word the more likely a kinship and a common orgin with other languages. "Ma" and "Pa" are the base of basic and many of the World's languages pronounce the sounds with a similarity.

In fact a linguist at Berkley claims that she can date mankind's dispersal throughtout this big wide world by the degree of convergence or divergence of a set of fundamental words.

I think that most folk at Berkley are kooks and hippies but this chick might have a worthwhile idea.

Last edited by themilum; 04/04/07 09:22 PM.
themilum #167324 04/04/07 11:40 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I remember hearing something about that. Mother and father would be about the most basic words but the connection may be because they come from the first sounds a baby makes: mama, papa, dada. (or is that what you meant by "the base of basic", Milo?)
Come to think of it, does anyone know a language where the childish term for mother doesn't start with ma or mo(m)

Weren't the colors red, blue and green part of the list of very basic words? It was waaaay long time ago (from a High school French teacher who could be sidetracked into linguistics instead of the curriculum) Can anyone provide a link to more info?

PS Hi and welcome,languagelover

Zed #167335 04/05/07 02:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This* looks like an interesting paper on the subject. Just to answer one of your questions the following languages are given with their words for 'father':

Code:
Georgian (Caucasus)          mama
Pitjantjatjara (Australia)   mama
Jacaltec (Guatemala)         mam

*It's a pdf.

themilum #167364 04/06/07 04:34 PM
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate the information you shared. I am interested to find out what other languages have similar root words for mother and father. I'm sure there are many!

addict
addict
Just for 2¢, in Thailand there is Maa (maa) while there are four different inflections of ma (mä) meaning horse, dog, bring, and ______ [forgotten the fourth one].

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
Aramis #167557 04/15/07 06:27 PM
A
stranger
stranger
A
in gujarati (oneof the languages of western india) the word for mother is ma and for father is bap or alternatively pita. In classical sanskrit it is maatru and pitru respectively hope these add to your listing - aitrivra

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith