Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
In the book "the Psychology of Selling", a passage is titled "The Approach Close".

In this passage, the book tells about a way to achieve a sale. The salesperson will say to the prospect that he is not here to sell something right now but to show why so many others have bought it and continue to buy it. The saleperson will also ask the prospect to listen with an open mind and determine whether or not the product (or service) applies to his situation as well.

When the prospect says, "I have to think it over", the salesperson will respond by saying, "well, Mr. Prospect, I appreciate, but you promised you would tell me one way or the other if this applied to your situation or not", and "After what you've told me, it seems that this is ideal for you at this time, unless there is something else that I don't understand".

This forces the prospect to give a reason for hesitating or objecting, and allows the salesperson to answer or explain, thus continue the selling process instead of ending with the prospect saying "I will think about it".

Here, what does "the Approach Close" mean? Does it mean "to close a deal by approaching(getting close to or get on the same side with) the customer"? Is "approach" here means a method so that "the approach close" means "the approach used to close"? Or "approach" means "to get close to"?

And, by the way, what does "one way or the other" in the 3rd paragraph of this post mean? Does it mean "agree or not" here?

Thanks,

Callithump

Do inform me if you see any corrections needed in my written English.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I can't help you with the "Approach Close" question, but the "one way or the other" is meant to force the prospect to say that the thing being sold does or does not meet his needs. I think this is what you mean by "agree or not".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This forces the prospect to give a reason for hesitating or objecting
Only if the prospect caves in to the relentless politeness in which he or she has probably been trained...which is exactly what the salesperson is counting on.

addict
addict
Yes, the 'Approach Close' smacks of a fancy salesman term for 'arm-twisting'. Pushy salesmen tend to put a high premium on Closing The Deal, because after that it is too late (for the dupe). Time To Think About It is an anathema to a salesman, since worthy questions may float in, such as:

Do I really want one of these things?
What else could I get for that much?
Do I even have room for this junk?
Could some other poster have a better deal on the same thing?

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I think that it is not close/near but close/shut that is being used here. To close a deal, see Aramis' post, is to complete it. as in "He wasn't going to buy the expensive model but I agreed to free delivery and that closed the deal."

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Garrrfff... sputter, cough, cough...

I've been successful in sales for 25 years and have never, nor would I ever, talk to somebody that way. It would annoy the piss outta me if somebody did that to me...why on earth would I do that to somebody else.

(Maybe that's why my clients like me. )

Edit: typo

Last edited by belMarduk; 01/06/07 12:46 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I agree. Someone comes on to me like that and I'd shut down so fast you'd think I'd fallen into a black hole. But that wasn't calli's point.

E
addict
addict
E
Quote:

Garrrfff... sputter, cough, cough...

I've ... never, nor would I ever, talk to somebody that way. It would annoy the piss outta me if somebody did that to me...why on earth would I do that to somebody else.

(Maybe that's why my clients like me. )
Edit: typo

What she said. We do very soft sell at the store. I took a job once - when I was younger and desperate - selling vacuum cleaners. That job sucked - and I sucked at it, because I couldn't "close". I always believed them when they said they couldn't afford the damned thing.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
You sucked at selling vacuum cleaners?!?!

HA! Elizabeth, you made a funny !

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

I think that it is not close/near but close/shut that is being used here. To close a deal, see Aramis' post, is to complete it. as in "He wasn't going to buy the expensive model but I agreed to free delivery and that closed the deal."

You are right, Zed, but Belmarduk, you and Elizebeth Creith are wrong.
You two are not salesmen and never have been. "A salesman is an it that stinks". All politicians are salesmen and all salesmen are reprehensible con men who are joined at the hip by their lies. You and Elizebeth are something else; neither of you would sell your soul for a buck.

But the guy who wrote the book that Callithump quotes is.
The "approach" he speaks of is just that: a gambit calculated to preclude any deliberation on the part of the "mullet".*

* a "mullet" is just one of the many terms that con men call their victims here in the South in order to dehumanize them so they can feel less bad about their slimy greed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,363
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 388 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,558
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith