Next Thread
Print Thread
#163423 11/13/06 02:54 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Here's another duplication of definite articles from the same part of the world as the La Brea Tarpits: Anaheim lost out to its more powerful neighbor when their American League baseball team was renamed
"The Los Angeles Angels (of Anaheim)"--the the angels angels (of Anaheim).

C
stranger
stranger
C
About the batteries... I'm a (very small) manufacturer of battery-powered devices. Although I do ship my goods with batteries, I have some insight into why others might not. One big reason is that they're HEAVY. It adds substantially to the shipping cost, and also to the risk of damage due to sudden acceleration (bumps and drops) during shipping.

T
stranger
stranger
T
The word alarm contains a disguised definite article, as it is derived, via the French alarme, from the Italian all'arme! (to arms!). Interestingly, the word alkahest, mentioned in connection with alchemy on Monday, is cod Arabic, coined by Paracelsus. Incidentally, my surname, Tremberth, contains a vestigial INdefinite article, the Cornish an; in the development of the name tre an berth became trenberth, then was altered to tremberth through a change in spelling I noted in the 1881 UK census

P
stranger
stranger
P
The included article is well-known in astronomy. Many ancient star names were simply the name of an object, or the star's location in a constellation. During the dark ages, much of the knowledge of the sky was preserved by the Arabs who translated the meanings into Arabic. When the names were translated from Arabic back into European languages, the Arabic name was often used in part or in whole and the "al" was often included in the star name. Hence there are over 100 star names beginning in "al", all the way from Aladfar from "al Athfar" meaning "the talons" to Alzirr from "Al Zirr," meaning "the Button".

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,338
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 651 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,544
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith