Next Thread
Print Thread
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
If I can here.

My company is now called in English as Beijing T-Win Consulting Co., Ltd. It is a language service provider with translation as its core business and a professional business consultancy firm. The majority of its work takes place between the Chinese language and English,Japanese,French, German, Russian, Korean and Spanish. Translation service includes interpretation, translation and localization. (More detailed information is attached at the bottom.)

Current main website of the company is under the domain name of t-win21cn.com. We now want to rebuild our website with the goal to be a specialized portal website in China with regard to translation and interpretation. Meanwhile we want to change our domain name to one that can embody such orientation. Some have been suggested, e.g., okTranslation.com, transGate.com, transDoor. But we think the first one might be too long to be easily memorized and written down,and the latter two might be understood as a transportation web, so we are still in search for such a domain name that suits our orientation.

I don't know whether it's ok to post something like this here. But I really want you all to help me. Please do drop a few lines if you come up with something to say about that.

Thanks,

Calli THUMP.

================================================
Beijing T-Win Consulting Co., Ltd

Brief Introduction
===============================
Beijing T-Win Consulting Co., Ltd. is a language service provider with translation as its core business and a professional business consultancy firm.
The Translation Center of Beijing T-Win Consulting Co., Ltd. has a team of more than 100 translators and interpreters, 70 percent of them are certified translators and interpreters. All of them have received many years of training in foreign languages and are skillful in translating from Chinese to a foreign language or vise versa. In addition, most of them have university degrees in science and/or technology and rich work experience in such fields as law, business and trade, finance, banking, culture, science and technology and so forth. Beijing T-Win Consulting Co., Ltd offers translation services between Chinese and over 20 different languages. The majority of its work takes place between the Chinese language and English,Japanese,French, German, Russian, Korean and Spanish.
Interbook.cn, the book publishing department of Beijing T-Win Consulting Co., Ltd, provides publishing consultancy service, book translation service and copyright agency to both Chinese and foreign publishing houses and cultural companies. Its professional translators will give strong support with their language skills in this regard.

Services provided:
1. Translation service
2. Publishing consultancy
3. Serve as copyright agent
4. Other consultancy service on legal matters or business

www.t-win21cn.com.cn(to be changed to okTranslation.com?)

Description of services
Translation service
-------------------------
Translation service includes interpretation, translation and localization. In most cases the translation of books is a type of written translation.

Publishing consultancy and copyright agency for imported books
1. Book introduction: T-Win Interbook will translate catalogues of publishers and summary of some of their books into English or Chinese and recommend them to purchasing publishers. Chinese and foreign publishers can communicate with each other through T-Win Interbook's sample book exhibi-tion room or its website www.interbook.cn
2. Copyright agency: T-Win Interbook serves as a platform for Chinese and foreign publishers in negotiating for copyright cooperation, and will provide related service.
3. Book publishing: T-Win Interbook will supervise book production on behalf of foreign publishers to ensure high quality and prevent piracy.

Other consultancy service on legal matters or business
Beijing T-Win Consulting Co., Ltd. will provide legal aid for any intellectual property right lawsuits arising out of copyright disputes and other consultancy service on foreign business in China.

Successful Cases
Book: Collection of Important Statements at the Fifth Section of WTO Ministerial Conference in Cancun
Publishing House: China Commerce and Trade Press
Cooperation: Translation
Entrusting Party: Ministry of Commerce, P. R. China

Book: Proceedings of Chinese-Foreign University Presidents Forum
Publishing House: China Renmin University Press
Entrusting Party: Ministry of Education, P. R. China

Book: Collection of Selected Theses on Management Science Quarterly
Publishing House: Peking University Press
Entrusting Party: Guanghua School of management, Peking University

Entrusting Party: Founder Group

Entrusting Party: TEDA Investment Promotion Center (IPC)

Magazine: Marie Claire
Publishing House: Co-published by China Sports Publication Corporation & Hachette Filipacchi Medias, France
Entrusting Party: Marie Claire Editorial Department

Activity: First High Level Seminar on Promoting SMEs Development And Investment in East Asia (October 2005)
Organizer: National Development and Reform Commission, P. R. China
Cooperation: Simultaneous Interpretation & Translation
Entrusting Party: http://www.bjinvest.gov.cn/

Last edited by callithump; 03/03/06 01:06 AM.

Do inform me if you see any corrections needed in my written English.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Calli:

I don't have a suggestion for a domain name, but I do have a couple of observations. If you are using the paragraphs below your signature line as advertising for your agency, you need to be extremely careful to make it letter perfect.

"vise versa" should be "vice versa."

oktranslation is probably not what you want to use. In English if I say, "That was an ok translation" I am perhaps implying that it was only just good enough, not great.

Actually, I do have a sort of suggestion for you. Meld the words Mandarin and translation into mandlation.com. It's not currently in use.

I just went to your website and have a couple more observations.

1. Get rid of the cute cursor thing with the clock. It's distracting and very unprofessional. Not the image you want for a first impression.

2. I switched to English and got pretty much what you have above, but I also got two very involved process flow charts on the main page. Either get rid of those entirely or hide them someplace. FAR more information than a customer wants or needs, and might give the impression that your company is too bogged down in minute details to see a big picture.

TEd
M
addict
addict
M
I don't know what the regulations/difficulties are around registering domain names where you are, so excuse me if I suggest something not possible there. I am also not familiar with what is "standard practice" there.

The domain name is just a pointer to the webserver whose "real name" is a number like 111.222.333.444. You can even use the webserver software itself to point a domain name to a different directory or application on the server. So, first, I would suggest getting more than one name, maybe some are pointing directly to the English version of the site.

Your current name seems very cryptic to me. If I know the name of your company is Beijing T-Win, I wouldn't guess t-win21cn and once I had found it, I wouldn't remember it. It would be good if customers can find your website without having to carry the name around on a piece of paper. I can see where the cn comes from (if this is a common practice there), but the 21 has me completely baffled. beijingt-win, t-win, t-winbeijing, t-winconsulting, twinbeijing, or beijingtwin would be very good.

Another type of name would be to refer to your product/service name. Your www.interbook.cn is very good in this respect. You don't want it too generic as this may make it easy to "accidentally" find one of your competitors, i.e. if you have translator.cn and your competitors have translation.cn, part of your business may disappear. On the other hand, you may want to snap up some of these overly generic names yourself to "steal" business from your competitors, but I wouldn't use them for the main name you give out. The site name needs to be something, or at least related to something, that you are going want to use prominently in your marketing materials, so I don't feel that I can suggest what that should be. Like the text you posted says "T-Win Interbook" several times, that would make me guess t-wininterbook and interbook and sure enough I would find interbook.

I agree with TEd that there is way too much information on your first page and the cutesy stuff is very cliche'd (there's a floating menu of some sort on the Chinese page that is almost as annoying as the cursor clock). The type of information you are showing would normally be several pages of information under a menu item of "About Us" or "Our Company. The first page of the English site looks like a document that you just pasted in rather than a professional web site. The Chinese site is better but still too long for a first page(I don't understand it, but it looks organized), but a first time visitor is not likely to notice anything that you have to scroll down to see.

This sentence I don't understand at all: "In most cases the translation of books is a type of written translation."

"T-Win Interbook will translate catalogues of publishers and summary of some of their books into English or Chinese and recommend them to purchasing publishers." - should say either "the catalogues of publishers" or even better "a publisher's catalogues", "and a summary ...". Catalogues of publishers could be a list of the names of publishers rather than a list of each publisher's books.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> twinbeijing, or beijingtwin would be very good.

nuh-uh, you'll get people searching for Siamese twins!

C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Hello, Friends,

Thank you very very much for your advices.

Some problems you pointed out, we have realized and are working on it. We are setting up a new website, in fact. (It's still fledging, but if you want to have a look, you can visit www.oktranslation.com--we are considering a new domain name.)

Some problems you pointed out, we haven't. We'll learn that and imporve our work further.

Among them suggestions on domain name would be the most pressing for we have to make public our domain name first when bringing out our website.

So nice to have you reply and look forward to more of your messages.

By the way, I'm not a translator. So, please bear with me if I didn't write well in English.

Thanks,

Calli THUMP.

Do inform me if you see any corrections needed in my written English.
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Since your company is called T-win Consulting, why not have the domain name twintongues if it hasn't already been used?

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

So nice to have you reply and look forward to more of your messages.

By the way, I'm not a translator. So, please bear with me if I didn't write well in English.

May I suggest you have one of your translators discuss here, too? It might be more efficient.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith