Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#155217 02/06/06 04:39 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I read that AOL and Yahoo are planning to start charging for some e-mails (primarily from businesses)--anywhere from ¼c. to 1 cent each, and that paid-for e-mails will get preferential treatment, which they were a little vague on. Supposedly one of the "benefits" is that it will cut down on spam.
What do you all think?

#155218 02/06/06 04:55 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
As always, the Devil's in the details. Have you seen the details yet?

#155219 02/06/06 05:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I understand it's precisely the spammers who are going to have to pay. "Real" businesses don't use AOL or Yahoo. But you'd think, if the IPs can find the spammers to charge them for their E-mails, why can't they also shut them down?

#155220 02/06/06 05:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If I know yahoo! at all, they'll blanket cover everyone who sends out email in bulk, which would shut down wwftd once again. (the first time was when the IT guys at work warned me to get off the corporate servers.)

#155221 02/07/06 06:30 PM
Ok, this intrigued me so I thought I would look it up. This is what I found:

Quote:

Yahoo, AOL to charge for 'direct' e-mails

February 06, 2006 10:09 IST

A new digital divide is set to separate the haves from the have-nots, with two Internet giants endorsing a system that gives preferential treatment to e-mails sent by paying subscribers.

America Online and Yahoo, two of the world's largest providers of e-mail accounts, plan to start charging an optional fee to send e-mails directly into user in-boxes without going through junk mail filters, a media report said in New York.

Users will now have to pay from a quarter of a cent to 1 cent per e-mail to ensure their messages are marked as certified and grab the attention of the receiver.
"The Internet companies say this will help them identify legitimate mail and cut down on junk e-mail, identity-theft scams and other scourges that plague users of their services," the New York Times reported on Sunday.

The companies also stand to earn millions of dollars a year from the system if it is widely adopted, the daily said.

In the next two months, AOL will start accepting e-mail processed by the US-based Goodmail Systems , which will collect the electronic postage and verify the identity of the sender.

Unpaid e-mails will be subject to AOL's spam filtering process, which diverts suspicious messages to a spam folder.

Meanwhile, Yahoo has said it will start trying out Goodmail's system in the coming months but has not yet decided how paid e-mail will be differentiated from unpaid.

"In a broader sense, the move to create what is essentially a preferred class of e-mail is a major change in the economics of the Internet. Until now, senders and recipients of e-mail...each covered their own costs of using the network, with no money changing hands," the daily said.

This is interesting to me, especially if you look up what the GoodMail System consists off, and I quote

Quote:

The Goodmail CertifiedEmail service provides a clean well lighted in-box to shield consumers from phishing and online fraud

In my oppinion they are just going to be spamming or phishing in a different mannor now. Now it will be legal because they will have paid for the right.

snort!

Just my two cents.

Rev. Alimae
#155222 02/07/06 07:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Spammers are not going to pay for sending mail. A typical spammer sends out perhaps a million mail messages a day hoping to get maybe a hundred or so suckers (er hits).

A million messages at a penny each is $10.000.00 a DAY for postage. Kind of cuts into the old profit margin a bit.

But legitimate emailers (for example credit card companies) have been able to cut their costs a LOT by not having to pay for traditional postage.

I get hardly any hard mail delivered to the house any more. All my utilities, all my credit cards, my mortgage, almost everything is handled electronically. Most of them are on automatic deduction; I get an e-bill for my two electric services, they tell me when they are going to zap my checking account. Bob's my brother, out the money goes.

Similarly, my MasterCard account statement comes via email and I go online and schedule a debit from my checking account.

These companies have been getting this service pretty much free, and they save themselves 30 odd cents a month for every account holder that does this. And on top of that they don't have printing costs, mail stuffing costs, check handling costs. It's a real win-win situation.

So now they have may have to pay a penny to send their notices to me. They can gripe about it if they want, but they are still saving a real bundle.

And, in the long run if they save a bundle one or two of them may pass a small part of the savings on to me. Perhaps that will happen on the day Hell freezes over.

TEd
#155223 02/07/06 07:30 PM
Lol ok, you have me there Ted, I had not thought about it nor looked at it in the particualar light. In this instance, I will agree with the charging of monies for the e-mails.

But, and I still feel this will happen, we will start seeing spam showing up in our online mail boxes with these logo's or guarentees saying that they are not spam. It is just life.

Rev. Alimae
#155224 02/07/06 08:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and you can bet the legit companies that pay the fee will pass it on to the consumer...

formerly known as etaoin...
#155225 02/07/06 08:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
One tech columnist pointed out that much spam is sent from zombie PCs anyway, so spammers can use hacked PCs to send spam, and have the zombie's owners foot the bill.
Quote:

There is also potential for abuse in the postage stamp model. What the pay-per-email model doesn't necessarily stop is corporate networks being hijacked to send spam: in the vast majority of cases, spammers don't even use their own computers to send mail. Right now, many company computers end up being hacked and used to send thousands of messages. If your firm pays 0.1p for every email it sends, and one machine gets turned into a zombie that sends 5 million emails, it would sting you for £5,000. I can't think of anybody who'd fancy that.

#155226 02/08/06 12:17 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Alimae! Thank you! Ever since wofa asked about the details, I have been searching for that article without success. [sigh]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 818 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith