Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#153754 01/16/06 10:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just a comment on the usage in the quote:

Quote:

The Jesuits considered the Natives nothing less than savages and, therefore, deserving of nothing less than subjugation....

Bauhaus aside , shouldn't less be more?

#153755 01/16/06 10:58 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Quote:

Ah. Well, I got some explanation from my parents. The Jesuits were “not very nice” and were not above using violence to impose the rules of Catholicism on the people of Québec. During my Grandmother’s generation, the expression “mon Jésuite” came to be used as an exclamation, or oath, when scolding a mischievous youngster.

This page has a good explanation as to why my parents would thing that the Jesuits were not very nice.
Jesuits were not very nice

FROM THE PAGE...

The Jesuits were despised by most of the French in New France and they were resented by the Natives. The Jesuits considered the Natives nothing less than savages and, therefore, deserving of nothing less than subjugation. Although subjugation was considered deplorable by most, the Jesuits considered it a virtue - as long as it was the Roman Catholic Church which was doing the subjugating. The French of New France considered the Jesuits extremely wicked and dangerous men who should be driven out of the country. Eventually, all of Europe would come to feel the same way about the Jesuits and they would be driven from there, also.

a) Where did they go?

b) Is this related to the business of disempowering the Catholic Church in Canada in recent history?

#153756 01/16/06 01:54 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
a) Where did they go?

I think they're living near Father Steve's house now.

b) Is this related to the business of disempowering the Catholic Church in Canada in recent history?

I don't know about the rest of Canada, I can only speak of Québec. Though the Jésuites were part of what caused the rebellion against the Catholic Church, they were only part of a wide root structure.

The French Québecois were effectively enslaved by the harsh, inflexible rules established by the Catholic church.

What surprises me most is that the revolution is relatively recent. As recently as in my Grandmother’s time, the Catholic church had a strangle-hold on even the most basic of everyday decisions.

#153757 01/16/06 02:52 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
My dear departed uncle, my mother's brother, was a Jesuit priest, and one of the kindest, most intelligent people I've ever met. He was a world renowned Chaucer scholar. At the time of his death, he was an English professor at Fordham U. He was a funny and fine poet, among other things.
On the other hand, there was a Jesuit priest who was the "Prefect of Discipline" at my High School, and he would smack the piss out of me from time to time for no particular reason that I could discern.
I hope that things have become a bit more evenhanded (so to speak) these last several years.
Now TV evangelists, on the other other hand...

#153758 01/16/06 03:25 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Good contrast, Owly! But I would put a rhetorical question to you: is it not true that the innate values of the good and humane scholar would shine out through whatever social structure pertained, whereas the nastier side of humanity revealed by the other needs the authoritarianism of an absolutist creed to flourish?

But I *completely agree about evilangelists...!

#153759 01/16/06 05:09 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, it seems that it is easier to be a &*#$ when sanctioned, but I'm not sure if it's a necessity.
I'm not a big fan of any absolute system, unless it's vodka, and even then, I'd really prefer a cool Sam Adams or a DAB.
If I systematically revered anything, trees, (where owls live), might be my first choice.

#153760 01/16/06 07:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Owlbow (and others so inclined), follow me down to Animal Safari. I want to ask about a recent sighting near here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith