Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What's the word for fear of crickets?

protobaseballphobia?

addict
addict
Sorry about your test, Logwood. I do share the opinion of other AWADers, though, that if you still think you'd like to work as a translator, you shouldn't let just one little obstacle get in your way. I'm also saying this because there'd always be opportunities for you to work translating from Hebrew into English, no?

On the other hand, if you were just trying this as one option, and are happy to move on to your other options, then by all means do what you feel you want to do next. I'm sure it will all be great!

Logwood Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
But it's not just "one little obstacle"... fact is my Hebrew is so horrible it needs serious rehauling to turn me into a good translator (and I mean "horrible" for what you expect from a native). You can't just be a translator trusting your native knowledge, you have to learn and love both languages.

As for Hebrew into English, the demand is so low it's not really worth it. But either way -- yes, I was just trying it as an option..

Thanks you all for the replies.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Why do you hate Hebrew?

Logwood Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I don't know... maybe it grew stale on me since I speak it, hear it and see everyday for the pass 20 years? maybe it's because it's just a small language for a small country, and I much desire to speak and think in "global terms"? maybe it's because I find Hebrew awfully limiting... or maybe it's because computers and particularly the internet (to both of which I'm addicted) are essentially English-based (not to mention TV)? maybe it's because I sense a mentality here that knowing English is highly venerated? or maybe it's because I find something more "graceful" in English? ..gee I really don't know, maybe it's all these reasons? or maybe sometimes you just love thing because you just do and hate things because you just do-- could be that too? there really isn't a clear cut answer, I could probably come up with 50 more reasons more if you give me time. Here's something you don't wanna read too far into eh?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Languagehat posted a link to a history of hebrew, fwiw at this point.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 631 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith