Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Logwood Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I flunked. And may I take this moment to crudely say GODDF***ingDAMMMIT!!!!

For those of you not keeping up, it was a test for a translation company. I didn't "held to the criterion", as they put it. "The quality of the translation was not good enough..."

Yea.. it's quite a bummer... but I'll have you know I'm not too upset actually... it's my Hebrew that failed me after all-- as I never did study it professionally nor planned too, ever. In fact, I have no passion towards Hebrew whatsoever... and mayhap that's a clear enough statement that I shouldn't have tried it to begin with. But then again, we don't always know the answers before we try...

Ah well, now that I'm done with it, I'm aiming for compters... "system administration"... which sounds like something I'd be better-suited for. No need to worry about the quality of my Hebrew there... I kinda feel relieved.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Well, that's a shame. But it was just a test for one company, after all, and it taught you a lot about the kinds of difficulties potential clients will want or need you to address. Not to say you shouldn't do the computer thing, but quitting after a single set back (especially such as this, which barely qualifies) won't get you ten feet in the bumper cars of life. Chin up, and keep at it! You've got what it takes.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, shoot, Honey--I'm sorry. One of those "learning experiences", I guess.

Our pastor told an interesting story this morning--I doubt you'll ever need this exact thing, but the idea of being open/aware of the unexpected might help you at some time in the future. Okay--

It was about 1940, and a telegraph office had advertised for a new position. On the designated day, eight men showed up and sat down in the waiting room, where they could hear the telegraph clicking madly from the adjoining room. The supervisor's door was shut. Suddenly, one of the men got up and walked right into the supervisor's office without even knocking. A few minutes later, the supervisor came out and told the others to leave because that man had gotten the job. One the seven couldn't stand it, and asked how that guy had achieved getting the job when the rest hadn't even had a chance to be interviewed. Whereupon the supervisor pointed out that the whole time they'd been sitting there, the telegraph clicks had been spelling out, "Whoever understands this, come right in--the job is yours".

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
That reminds me of another thing I read, Jackie. I can't recall exactly, I think it was from Erma Bombeck.

She was looking to hire a house cleaner and put out an ad in the paper. Several people answered the ad. On the day of the interview, she placed a broom on the floor of the porch. One after one, the women who came for the interview walked by the broom. Only one woman stopped to pick up the broom. She got the job.

E
addict
addict
E
When we hire, it doesn't matter how good you are at everything else, if you can't catch crickets barehanded, you can't work for us. Sometimes it's one stupid little thing that makes the difference.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> crickets barehanded

rats. that class was eliminated due to budget cuts...

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i could work for you Elizabeth! i have even caught a bird (a blue jay!) but not bare handed--Jay's have sharp beaks!i did manage to pop a hat box on him, (and then got the lid on the hat box with out his escaping!)

one of my friends has a gecko--i am all to familiar with catching crickets!

Logwood Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
inselpeter, actually this was probably my best practical chance to get into the translation business (believed me, I've looked around)... but the job was solely about translating English to Hebrew, in which case one deals with Hebraic words much more than English ones. I didn't like the thought of it... although I get your angle about not giving up, and gaining experience... but sometimes you have to know when you're going the wrong way. I do like the thought of having to deal with English in whatever I do, in which case computers seems perfect for that.

Oh.. and I liked that anecdote, Jackie...very apt. ...same with Elizabeth's metaphor... I was never any good at catching crickets.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Elizabeth wasn't talking metaphorically Logwood. She actually needs somebody able to catch crickets. She owns a pet shop.

This is what is fun about this place - the wide variety of individuals.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What's the word for fear of crickets? (I could never work in EC's shop, and the second round on a lot of Fear Factor shows would end my participation right there--not that I could do ANY of the stunts, mind you.) They...they...jump at you, and, and, they have...legs... [horror]
For those of you not familiar w/ Fear Factor, if the stunt is to eat bugs or worms, they're always alive and moving...and some of them bite, pinch, or sting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 769 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith