Carpal Tunnel
heh. cute spelling.

formerly known as etaoin...
#152081 12/15/05 05:21 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Anna: Other sites of this very kind accept and even encourage contributions containing a political slant, so long as they're at all pertinent to the thread. Their contributors consider that sort of banter a form of harmless humor. However, I respect your rules and will make every effort to comply

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There are no rules (and certainly there aren't any rules by annastropha!)

We don't discuss politics, because we are all hard headed individuals, and we are complete sure, our well thought out positions are the correct ones, and we don't need to be confused with facts when we have already made up our minds or something like that!

yes, there are other sites that accept and even encourage contributions, but we are boring old fuddy duddies, and we don't like strife

(ok, we tolerate strife about prescriptive/descriptive points of view, but that is it!)

we are totally incapable of considering political banter to be harmless humor. (or we are total incapable of laughing at other's political view, or at having our views laughed at, or we are totally with out a sense of humor, (or all of the above!) Or something like that!

Meanwhile back on topic, i interupt my endless hours here visiting Knitting BB's (and knitting, and designing and writing patterns for knitting, and thinking about knitting, and did i mention i knit? i am somewhat obsessive about.

its a sort of chronic contition, (being doing it 45 years) with acute epidodes. (the current episode in now in its 4th year, and shows no signs of abating)

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> being doing it 45 years

sheeeesh, that's a *long scarf!

Dale, I'm with you in that it should be possible to spike comments with a note of politics providing the post remains centrally about the issue under discussion. It's just that we've found by bitter experience that the road to hell is paved more frequently with that particular good intention than most others! So we try to avoid the unnecessary provocation. But as the Big Knit said, the only Rule around here is there are no steenkin' rulze. Like most communities we make it up as we go along. If you felt hard bitten by the tongue of the ASp, you'll be neither first nor last...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

So, do you work or just futz around here all day?

I am a journalist : I employ my time by keeping a detailed journal of a journey as an artist (manqué).

#152085 12/16/05 11:49 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
So you're an artist manqué with a typewriter...?

#152086 12/16/05 11:53 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

So you're an artist manqué with a typewriter...?

Kind of. I have an Apple PowerBook, and aside from Safari, and iTunes (quod vide music thread), I guess, yes, it is basically a glorified typewriter.

E
addict
addict
E
Logwood, I'm currently one-half of the ownership of a pet store. I'd never expected to have a storefront, and I find myself enjoying it rather more than I thought I would. I've got experience in retail, not only from jobs during school, but also as a professional artist selling my work through craft shows.
I spent the last eleven years as a full-time artist - potter, writer, bookmaker. Currently doing it very part-time, but will be doing more once the store no longer needs quite so much of my attention (we've just passed the six-month mark). I've also worked at telemarketing, selling vacuum cleaners (a job which sucked), reception for Industry Canada, temping in various offices, administrative assistant at an importing firm, dispatcher/bookkeeper for my father's crane-rental business, pallet control for Nabisco, private investigator.

I find what I'm doing now interesting and fun, as well as hard work. Same with the art. I would wish for everyone that they could find work that would absorb and interest them at least sometimes while providing enough money to keep the wolf from the door.

I have a BA in fine art and mediaeval studies. I can't imagine one I could have taken that would have served me better in my real work - art - or furnished my mind more to my liking.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> Do you enjoy your job? Do you find it enriching/interesting/monotonous? do you feel like you would enjoy doing something else more? what stops you from doing it?

I’m currently working as a marketing consultant. In previous half-lives I have (in no particular order) worked shire horses, run a manufacturing plant, operated a hotel/conference centre, milked cows, worked for the richest woman in the world, worked for a tiny boat hire company, started a theatre and arts centre, worked for a multinational paper-maker, and probably all kinds of other crap I can’t remember.

In my present job as in most others the chocolate chips and the rabbit droppings are cunningly intermingled. Every day’s a discovery. When I get sick of it I shall do something else, which may or may not relate to what I’ve done before. I’ve got more blasé about that as I have got older. I sometimes get enrichment from this as other jobs – but like Elizabeth implied, there are always tradeoffs to be struck between work as life satisfaction and work as wolf-deterrence. Yes, there are loads of things I’d rather be doing – the practical inertia that clogs your life as you accumulate relationships and responsibilities (as well as sheer cowardice) stop me from attempting all of them.

But there is still some time…

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the chocolate chips and the rabbit droppings are cunningly intermingled.

A+

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 769 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith