Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> every 90 days it requires you to re-verify, and re-register the software

yep, it's a bloody nuisance, especially when you mislay the disks for a while...!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is there, perhaps, some advantage to having a personal subscription to the on-line OED? I found the following at O's website:

-------------------------------------------

The Oxford English Dictionary Online is available to individuals by prepaid subscription. You may select either an annual or monthly payment plan:

( ) Annual Subscription: $295.00*

( ) Monthly Subscription: Pay only $29.95* each month. For your convenience, your subscription will be automatically renewed each month unless you decline renewal prior to the expiration of each monthly term. Instructions on how to decline renewal will be sent to you via e-mail within 24 hours.

----------------------------------------

This would eliminate the 90-day re-verification process of which Mav (and likely the rest of the world) complains. But one wonders if this on-line service runs in the background like the disk -- I doubt it -- and is therefor less desireable.

And why is it all so remarkably expensive?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
some random thoughts on OED online:

- Quarterly releases of work in progress from the massive revision of the OED - material not available in any other form

- Add OED Online to your browser

With this feature, you can highlight a word in any web site, click the Search OED Online button on your browser toolbar, and your browser window will display the results of a Find Word search having been performed in OED Online on the selected text.

Please note that you need to have JavaScript enabled to add the Search OED Online button on to your browser toolbar. Further information is available.

- it's expensive because: (choose one)
a) it's the OED
b) it's a virtual monopoly
c) who's going to stop it?
d) all of the above

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
oh, and yah left out one, tsuwm:

e. It's the world's best; definitive scholarship that's beyond rubies.

Of course, for mundane use even American Heritage will do for the price...

edit: of course, you prolly assumed e is a subset of a but.

Last edited by maverick; 12/05/05 10:18 AM.
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
What's the upgrade policy, if you opt for the cd? Are the quarterlies issued at intervals? at a reasonable price?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
If those options are available they have failed to make it clear. Come to that, they have failed to establish any relationship with me. hmm, mebbe they need a marketing consultant...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

What's the upgrade policy, if you opt for the cd? Are the quarterlies issued at intervals? at a reasonable price?

I wouldn't characterize it as a 'policy'; they've made a couple of upgrades available at a price. see the FAQ .

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't characterize it as a 'policy'; they've made a couple of upgrades available at a price. see the FAQ .

Thanks (both). Hard to compare costs with the information they give. Probably about equal, in the end.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 608 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith