About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#146569 08/21/05 03:02 PM
W
OP Offline
W
The attendance in Wordsmith Chat is declining. In this past chat there were only
about a dozen attendees. Not sure what might be the reason. I wonder if people find
that the guests are not interesting. Should different topics be chosen?
I wonder if the format doesn't work -- if the wait while the guest is typing
an answer too much?

Suggestions, comments, brainstorms?

Anyway, as an experiment, for the next chat I've invited someone from a
completely different field. It's a medical doctor from Mumbai who started
laughter yoga movement which is spreading all over. There are laughter clubs
where people meet just to laugh. I've participated in a few here and
in India and I really enjoyed them.

#146570 08/21/05 03:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've participated in the last few chats, and enjoyed them thoroughly, but this one hit on a Saturday afternoon, and I was busy. I know it's difficult to find the right time, world-wise. I'm east-coast USA, and week-day evenings are better for me.
I'm not sure about guests from different fields, but it's worth a try, especially if we can get into the jargon and terminology from their particular area of interest. it's all about the words....

formerly known as etaoin...
#146571 08/21/05 04:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Perhaps, in this case, unfamiliarity was a factor?

Just by happenstance, I picked up Deutscher's book at the library last week; I'd not heard of it, but it looked intriguing. I wish I had made the connection to the chat.

As to the book itself, a quick browse this morning leaves me with the impression that it would be of interest to most of those who read these forums. In addition to the flos/flor-is discussion that came up in the chat, I noted a section that described the origin of the words grotty/grot that confirmed my suspicions (cf. George Harrison and Reginald I. Perrin); and also an extended dialogue between a Dr. de Troy (author of Bakunian Linguistics: Toward a Dialectic of Categorical Deconstuction), and a member of the RSPEL(!) (the Royal Society for the Protection of the English Language) who has only just presented a loving obituary for the pronoun 'whom' and can hold back no longer.

#146572 08/21/05 08:37 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I suspect that timing has a lot to do with it. In my experience, August is a really slow time for internet interaction, and many people in the northern hemisphere are on vacation, or preparing for vacation, or getting back from vacation. Add to that that Saturday afternoons are when working folk get all their shopping and errands done, and there is a problem being able to attend.

I attended the chat, and wish to thank you for it. It was the first that I had been able to attend in a while.

#146573 08/22/05 01:36 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The guests have seemed very appropriate and relevant to me. I haven't attended because of being totally unfamiliar with their works; therefore I don't think there's much I could ask or comment on that would be worthwhile. And I figure I can learn by reading the transcripts. In other words, it's not them, it's me.

#146574 08/22/05 10:28 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I agree with the previous comments.

For me, Saturday afternoons are always a bit iffy because of all the things I need to do after the work week.

Also, like Jackie, if it is a person that I do not know, or a subject that I know very little about, I do not wish to interupt with questions that may seem inane to those people who are more knowlegeable. I feel I would be wasting the little time you have for the chats.

I am looking forward to the next chat though. Laughter therapy sounds quite interesting. I'll keep my eye open for the date.

#146575 08/23/05 12:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Perhaps if you advertised the chats on this board -- and in your weekly newsletters -- a little sooner it might help, Anu. That would give folks who are unfamiliar with the guests more time to research them.

As for the timing, I know it's difficult given all the different time zones involved (although the proponderance of participants seem to be in North America, so you've got to keep it convenient for us). Faldage and I haven't had any trouble with the timing of most chats, so I leave that suggestion to others. Thanks for going to the trouble of hosting them!

Edit: I practice yoga and love to laugh , but I'm afraid I might break something if I tried them simultaneously! So I'm off to research your next guest.

#146576 08/23/05 09:38 PM
veteran
veteran

I put this in another thread, but someone suggested I move it here so you would see it, Anu:

Ah, boogers. I've been out of town for two weeks. Second one of these things in a row that I've missed.

To whomever arranges these events (presumably the enigmatic Anu), I greatly appreciate these things even if I don't get to participate. It sounds a little stupid when I say it aloud or even when I type it, but I do feel that even though I'm absent that the world is a little better place for having had this sort of discussion.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith