Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
These two seem to get about the same googlpressions, which got me wondering whether 'doctor's visit' perhaps arose at a time when the doctor always can *to the patient. But although most generally go to the doctor themselves now, some still say, "I have a doctor's visit", even though it is really a 'patient's visit' or 'a visit to the doctor' they mean. Leaving the apostrophe out doesn't change this either, but I have the inclination to do so for some reason. What say the MDs? don't tell me - 'It's a consultation':-)

P
veteran
veteran
P
some still say, "I have a doctor's visit", even though it is really a 'patient's visit' or 'a visit to the doctor' they mean.

Good insight, B-Y.

The same people who say they have a "doctor's visit" probably say they have a "dental appointment".

I'm not a doctor but your question seems to be more linguistic in nature than medical.

"Doctor's visit" is probably a hold-over from the days when doctor's actually made house calls, whereas dentists rarely did.

What is this called?

An anachronism? Or perhaps a vestigial expression? *

A recent headline in the Detroit News uses the term "doctor's visit" so it's still a common expression, at least with patients.

How to get the most out of your doctor's visit
Give your health care a boost with these tips for better communication
Detroit News, April 27, 2005

The responsibility for a good encounter lies with both the patient and the physician, says Dr. Denise White-Perkins, a family practitioner at Henry Ford Medical Center-Detroit Northwest and the director of the Institute on Multicultural Health at Henry Ford Health System.

"Every medical encounter is a cross-cultural encounter," White-Perkins says. "The physician is coming from a medical culture, which has its own language and set of expectations. The patient is not familiar with that culture. That difference can be magnified if there is also a gender difference, for example, or a communication gap."

White-Perkins says the idea that communication is key is gaining popularity among today's doctors, who see patient care as a potentially lifelong partnership between two people that is enhanced by trust and honesty.

"It's so important to have a good personal physician, someone you see regularly, to be a partner in your health and to really plan an active role," White-Perkins says.

http://snipurl.com/gnzj

* Dictionary.com Main Entry: ves·tig·ial
Pronunciation: ve-'stij-(E-)&l
Function: adjective
: of, relating to, or being a vestige <a vestigial structure> —ves·tig·ial·ly /-E/ adverb

N
addict
addict
N
I'm more inclined to say "I have a doctor's appointment" rather than "visit." "Visit" is much too social for anything that often involves needles and specimens.

B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
> I'm more inclined to say "I have a doctor's appointment" rather than "visit." "Visit" is much too social for anything that often involves needles and specimens.

No doubt. Not sure why I came up with visit in particular, but the same holds for 'appointment'. "Doctor's appointment" gets the most hits by far, but "doctors appointment" gets a fair few too.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi, by--nice to see you. I must say I was very put off by doctors; then I had the thought that what we're really meaning is a visit (trip, app't., etc.) to the doctor's office. I would say a visit to the doctor's, so why not a doctor's visit?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
..and I would say a visit to the doctor, so why not a doctor visit?! :)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
'Cause it sounds like the Dr. is the one doing the visiting, that's why. And by the way, that post in the other thread is all your fault.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>doctor's visit
>it sounds like the Dr. is the one doing the visiting

exactly.

p.s. - what other post in what other thread, he asked querulously.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
what other post in what other thread, he asked querulously

As an old married man, you ought to know that the answer to what is your fault is: all of them.

Just say, "yes, dear", and read your paper. It will be better for us all. Really.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[mph] [mmph] Snort...giggle...HA HA HA! Rolling on the floor! Thank you, Sweetie!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,367
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 653 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith