Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#145726 08/02/05 11:56 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
and do you really think snoot or anyone is honoring you for your repeated MacGuffins?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

#145727 08/03/05 12:01 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Alex, not only did I agree with you but I got the pleasure while I read your post of hearing it in my father's voice along with the snorting and newspaper rattling that used to accompany the reading of twaddle.
It seems that Mr. Gabler writes with blinkers on. I should imagine that far more people read about the Olympic ice dance voting scandal than watched the event but the Olympics are still around. Same with the Baseball betting scandals of the past.
Perhaps what we need is better plots. Or at least some kind of plot.
As for the prow of culture I wouldn't likely quote sex lives of the rich and infamous to impress a job interviewer.

PS were movies supposed to "matter".

#145728 08/03/05 10:36 AM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
PS were movies supposed to "matter"?

Well, yes, for some, Zed. But not necessarily for you and me. I mostly go for 'escape' myself.

Aside: Lest this discussion be considered recalcitrant by those who expect their "Miscellany" strictly structured, may we consider this discussion a discussion of the meaning of the word "matter"? - that is, "matter" in the sense in which you have used it, Zed, and also in the sense in which Gabler used it in his headline "Movies just don't matter".

Films That Matter
Media that Matters fest brings young filmmakers to the fore.
By Geoff Aung, Columbia University
Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Let’s be honest: There are films, and there are movies. City of God, for example, is a film, while War of the Worlds is a movie. We at Campus Progress tend to fall on the filmy side of the divide, but we’ve got nothing against Scientology City, I swear. Especially when Hollywood = Wedding Crashers. But despite gems like the latest from the Wilson/Vaughn collective, the truth is we just can’t count on the local Loews to serve up the goods these days. Expensive popcorn, yes; meaningful cinematic goods, no.

That’s where Media That Matters comes in. For the fifth year running, Media That Matters, a part of Media Rights, a non-profit organization that connects filmmakers, activists, educators and youth, has put together a film festival featuring the best from young and even younger filmmakers creating art for social change. As one of the featured artists, Sarah McLachlan says, “Media That Matters is about people making the switch from apathy to action.” Call it reel progressivism.

http://snipurl.com/goq4

#145729 08/03/05 11:46 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> Well at any rate I see nothing new about publicity stunts.

Yeah, these people's job is the effective dissemination of themselves as a brand, or archetype of what is 'sexy', 'in' or whatever else. Compnaies started catching on to this idea a while ago too. This means that the most successful firms with the brightest people are becoming the ones that produce the least but market themselves most effectively.(try the film "The Corporation")

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith