Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#144886 07/13/05 04:55 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Sadean does exist for one who accepts the Marquis' philosophical and literary ideas rather than the sexual practices associated with his name.

Perhaps Christian is anomalous (if indeed it is) because we took it over ready-formed from the Greek Christianos rather than adding the suffix ourselves.

Bingley

Bingley
#144887 07/13/05 01:15 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Sadean does exist ... Christianos

Thanks for that valuable input, Bingley.

I confess I didn't know the Marquis de Sade had any "philosophical and literary ideas", at least, any worth reading. Oftimes we confuse character with erudition or creativity, but, of course, there is no necessary correspondence.

As a matter of fact, there is compelling evidence that a benign form of manic-depression [mania without the depression] may account for the entrepreneurial spirit and economic prowess of the United States, a country which was built by daring and adventurous immigrants from other countries. There is a newly published book on this subject. I will look for it and report back.

BTW your report on the origin of "Christian" does resolve what appears to me [at least] to be a conspicuous exception to the implicit, not explicit, general 'rule' guiding "ist" endings [that is, eponymic "ist" endings].

Thanks again.

#144888 07/13/05 01:28 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
I've just found the book, Bingley, written by John D. Gartner who teaches psychiatry at the Johns Hopkins Medical School.

Here is an extract from something he wrote which is "adapted from his new book The Hypomanic Edge".

"Hypomania—often found in the relatives of manic depressives—is a mild form of the psychiatric disorder known as mania. Hypomanics are brimming with infectious energy, irrational confidence, and really big ideas. They think, talk, move, and make decisions quickly. Anyone who slows them down with questions “just doesn’t get it.” Hypomanics are not mental cases, but “normal” is not the first word that comes to mind when describing them. Hypomanics live on the edge, between normal and abnormal.
------------------
"There will be gold rushes, booms, and manias aplenty in our future. America has been a ship riding the waves of irrational exuberance for hundreds of years, and she’s not likely to change course any time soon.

It’s in our blood."

America’s Manic Entrepreneurs
By John Gartner

http://snipurl.com/g877

#144889 07/14/05 05:36 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I must admit I haven't read any of the Marquis de Sade's writings either, but one can see that it might be worth making a distinction between Sadean use of the French language and Sadist use of the French language.

I wonder if there exists a similar distinction between Masochan use of the German language and Masochist use of the German language?

Bingley

Bingley
#144890 07/14/05 02:18 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
a similar distinction between Masochan use --- and Masochist use ---?

Didn't know that masochist was an eponym, Bingley. But I see that you're right. [Pls see * and Note below] This psychoanalyst - see below - observes that "masochism" is a term of "little precision" -- which makes sense, I suppose.

We all make mistakes and mistakes bring us pain. One could go around in circles endlessly wondering if those mistakes are 'wilful'.

On the other hand, causing pain to another is something which can be studied with scientific precision. One merely needs to establish that a person is inflicting pain on another person and the oppressor is aware of it and persists for no valid reason [i.e. no reason apart from the pleasure the pain brings to the oppressor].

Notes on Masochism: A Discussion of the History and Development of a Psychoanalytic Concept
William I. Grossman, M.D.

The term masochism, however, never did have a precise meaning or one that was generally accepted. It was a controversial term except as a literary designation for any phenomenon in which sexual pleasure and physical or mental pain were associated. The writings of Sacher-Masoch, which have been examined in an excellent literary and psychoanalytic study by Lenzer (1975), provided a prototype for all masochistic perversions. As Freud's concept of masochism evolved, the relation of partners in the masochistic perversion became the model for the relation between intrapsychic agencies, and masochism became a fundamental theoretical concept of drives and structure.
---------
At present, it has become evident that masochism is a term of
little precision and that its value is descriptive and evocative.
------------
Part II presents one of a number of ways in which Freud took Krafft-Ebing's ideas about masochism and gave them a psychoanalytic shape.
---------
Reporting on the Kris Study Group's examination of the problems of definition and usage with respect to masochism, Nersessian (1983) noted the confusion that arises when a term is used to refer indiscriminately to perversion, behavior, character trait, and instinctual drive. He added an interesting observation: "Not only did we find that not everyone agreed that a particular behavior was masochistic, but also that … it was often very difficult to maintain that view once it was challenged" (p. 3). This observation suggests that multiple viewpoints are possible: from one perspective, behavior may be masochistic, and from another, not.

http://snipurl.com/g96a

* Leopold von Sacher-Masoch
(born, Lemberg, January 27, 1836 - died, Lindheim, March 9, 1895)

Sacher-Masoch is best known for the novel, “Venus in Furs,” about the masochistic relationship between Serverin von Kusiemski dreamer and dillatante, and Wanda von Dunajew, a beautiful, free-spirited widow, to whom he becomes a slave. The novel is based on real events from the author’s life. It is was also the novel that Dr. Richard von Krafft-Ebing singled out in the origin of the word “Masochism.”

http://snipurl.com/g97w

Note: If "masochism" is a condition lacking the indicia required to make it the subject of authoritative scientific investigation, then it follows that one cannot be a "masochan".

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,374
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 194 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith