Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Miia Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hi!

I'm a Finnish student of translation and interpretation. At the moment, I'm writing my master's thesis on taboo expressions and their offensiveness. My material consists of a Finnish novel Under the North Star (original Finnish version and English translation). As a part of my thesis, I'm testing the offensiveness of some expressions with a questionnaire. The questionnaire is at the pilot stage, but I would like to know if there is interest among the users of this forum to fill it out when the form is finished? The only requirement is that the respondents are native English speakers (preferrably American).

T
veteran
veteran
T
Yes Milla, I would be happy to answer your questionaire
because I am not easily offended.
I am not offended because you prefer Americans speakers of English.
This only offends the British speakers of
English who are easily offended, which I ain't.

Fire away...

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> This only offends the British speakers of
English who are easily offended, which I ain't.

Milo here demonstrates two platitudes:
1. Only those British speakers of English predisposed to get offended will end up offended
b. He's not a member of that set
Well, we sure knew that, Milo :)

Good luck with the survey, Miia - be glad to help if a mere non-American can slip through the mesh!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I, too, would be happy to join your team of lab rats.

Pay milum and mav no never mind. They just like chewing on each other.

BTW, is your name really Miiä? I ask only in the interest of vowel harmony.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> They just like chewing on each other

Nope. Milo is non-discriminatory, in that he assumes 'not American speakers of English' = 'British speakers of English'. This board also has many other members of the family of international Englishes represented. Even Alabama, where they nearly speak English. ;)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sure, Miia--I'll be glad to help; it sounds very interesting. Several years ago, there was a British clerk in the office where I worked, and one day I asked her whether our "f**k" was more or less the equivalent of their "bloody". She was deadpan at the first word but her eyes widened at the second one, just as above I couldn't bring myself to spell out our word but had no trouble with the British one.
Oh, yes--it was very intelligent of you to find this place and seek respondents!

B
old hand
old hand
B
> Oh, yes--it was very intelligent of you to find this place and seek respondents!

Funk that! Vituperation metres around here must be terrible - what with all the abuse hurled.

... just kidding Miia, I'm sure the board members participating can navigate the mine fields of gutter talk with subtle and competent virtuosity.

M
Miia Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
First of all, to Faldage: No, my name is actually spelled Miia. It's of Swedish origin (Mia), but with a Finnish spelling. Both are used in Finland, as well as Piia (Pia), Tiia (Tia is possible, but I've never heard it used in Finland) and Kiia (Kia). Vowel I is quite easy in Finnish, since it can be used with both A and Ä, e.g. liata (to make something dirty) and siistiä (to clean something up), and also with all other vowels.

Second, I did not mean to offend anyone by requesting American English speakers. There are actual reasons for this: the target audience of the translation is American, and conventions of translating are different in American and British culture, which is the reason why some Finnish novels are translated differently to these target cultures, and this is crucial in translation studies...

Happy Easter to everyone, and thank you in advance for those who have already volunteered. More the merrier, so everyone can still participate!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi, Miia! I'm also of the US group and would like to help you out in your questionnaire. I work occasionally as a translator (Portuguese to English) and I know how sensitive and important such issues can be!

I hope you will stick around and maybe participate in other topics. I too have questions about Finnish and may ask you some from time to time, if you don't mind. I think you are the first person from Finland or, really, from any of the Finno-Ugric countries to post here.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you for the explication, Miia. As you may have noticed we love yattering at each other about the respective values of our Englishes. I hope you stay around after your survey.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,367
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 653 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith