Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
BelM's thread about how you tell where you're from got me to wondering. We normally divide verbs into transitive and intransitive verbs, but the transitive verbs really come in two different types: those that take merely a direct object and those that take both a direct and an indirect object. Is there a grammatical term that distinguishes between those two types?

Edit:

Dr. Bill suggested I give an example of the two types of transitive verbs: I can read a book, but I can't just give a book, I have to give someone a book. Even in my opening sentence in the edit there was an understood y'all between give and an example.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't have the answer to your question, Faldage, but what about the use of the verb give in this ex.?
Q: What did you donate to the charity auction?
A: I gave a book.

Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Q: What did you donate to the charity auction?
A: I gave a book.

I gave a book (to the charity).

You could, for example, just bust out and say "I gave a book to the charity," but if you just said "I gave a book" people would be wondering to what or whom you gave it. In your example the "charity" is understood from the context.

#140706 03/15/05 12:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was thinking maybe BelM's first language is French, in which language there may not be the same distinction between "tell" and "say" as there is in English.

#140707 03/15/05 02:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
if you just said "I gave a book" people would be wondering to what or whom you gave it. Wa-ah...you never let me have any fun! Hey! Faldage, if I can't give a book, can I give a damn?

there may not be the same distinction between "tell" and "say" [yobbity-yobbity]...ah! One eez transitive, the other eez not. I wish my French weren't so rusty; bel, where are you?

F
stranger
stranger
F
They're usually called ditransitive verbs. Or verbs with a valency of three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditransitive_verb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verb

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow. Nice work, Fil! I've never heard the term, nor have I heard valence ascribed to verbs before. Thanks!!!!!

And welcome to the madhouse.

TEd
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Welcome, film, and thanks for that pointer. It seems useful stuff mostly, but I take exception to the one-line summary:

> Most of these rules are arbitrary and are learnt only with experience by native speakers.

What a pile of manure this description is - something is either a rule or it's arbitrary. This imho is the ultimate absurdity of the prescriptivist pretence. This sentence actually suggests these things:
1. Native speakers are privileged by some sort of magic ear
2. This allows them to discern required differences in speech patterns despite the apparent random qualities observed in practice
3. This superior performance allows their speech to fit the rules

Balls. Surely what is actually going on is that the accretion of patterns of usage is indeed pretty arbitrary in its variations, and it's only custom that privileges the apparent euphony of one form over another. To attempt to draw a 'rule' given the observable discrepencies is simply perverse. The most that can usefully be said is that certain forms tend to be mostly found doing this job (with notable exceptions) whilst the alternate form is mostly found doing a slightly different job (again, with some notable exceptions). In other words, you can describe what is, but you cannot usefully ascribe the resultant language as the product of some rule.

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Hi. I am learning grammar, and I have a question. I am sorry if this creates a cross thread.
One can diagram a sentence, or map a sentence as a phrase tree structure. Are they both different ways of parsing a sentence, or are they both used for different purposes? When would one diagram a sentence, and when would one draw the phrase tree structure of the sentence?

Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, film. Just what I was looking for. Stick around, please do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith