Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#140238 02/24/05 06:19 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

I kinda know what a blue / red tick hound looks like. What I don't quite get is where the name comes from? Is it because the markings look a little like big ticks?

I've always had a great love of dogs. Until I left home for college, I don't think I ever went more than 2 or 3 months without a dog(s). After I married I discovered that my wife really hates dogs - or even the idea of owning pets. After much nagging, we (daughters and I) finally convinced her that our family *needs* a dog. So we got a Jack Russell Terrier (JRT) for the kids about 6 months ago. They make out like these are some kind of unruly beast-dogs, but really this is the best dog I've ever had. I admit she's stubborn, but she's quite smart and she gets along with everyone and other dogs. She's also quite trainable, though I'm trying to leave that to the kids. She barks a bit and she gets hyperexcited when she see's small, furry things running (squirrels, rabbits, mice, moles, young children) - but she's very good natured and is even-tempered. Now we're looking at another dog. The girls and I are in love with an american bulldog mix with a startlingly loving disposition, but I get a feeling my wife is going to nix this one. It's not clear. But we continue to check the local shelters and rescues. I'm considering widening the search to - you guessed it - blue/red tick hounds. I'm not a big fan of hounds, because I don't think they're as smart or trainable as other breeds. But I do like the looks of these dogs and I tend to go more on personality and gut feeling about a dog than on perceived intelligence or looks. Besides, I kinda like the idea of a challenge.

I have two questions, really:
1) What is the origin of the term, or what does it refer to?
2) What are the "breed's" characteristics?

(I use breed in quotes, because it's not clear to me that it's a breed unto itself.) I'm looking for another group in which to ask the second question, but I'm hoping you guys might give me some insight into the first.

k

#140239 02/24/05 07:13 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I asked the questions on this board and got loaded up with info within minutes:
http://members4.boardhost.com/dogadvice/msg/4283.html . Seems like I was right that the name is due to the markings. (Unfortunately, from info garnered from another site, it seems like these dogs are a lot bigger than I remember.)

k

#140240 02/24/05 07:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's a good picture of a blue tick hound:
http://www.rappahannockanimals.org/images/needadoption/Hunter-4-19-2003.jpg

I would definitely classify them as full-size dogs. My Uncle Bennett always kept one to use for hunting. On the way to the hunting ground he'd put the dog in the trunk of the car!

Edit--I can't think of any particular breed that I'd recommend for your family, not that I'm an expert. Border collies are the most intelligent, but they are very attention-demanding as well as hyper. I love German Shepherds--not only are they extremely intelligent, they just look regal. Gut-feeling is probably good. Oh--I've known two Chows that suddenly bit their longtime owners; and I saw advertising when the latest 101 Dalmatians was coming out that Dalmations are not good around kids. Let us know, will you please?

#140241 02/24/05 08:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I had one when I was a kid. She was a sweety who wanted to wash the face of every human she came into contact with. So of course we called her Timex.

TEd
#140242 02/24/05 08:43 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
That's a much better picture than any I've found.

The dog my daughter's and I want is Dempsey, as seen on this page:
[url]www.hart90.org/pets.asp?page=1&type=dog&status=available [url].
The ad says he's 30 pounds, but he looks a lot closer to 40-45. He's been at the vet's a month, though ... and since a lot of these guys come in malnourished, it makes sense he would have put on a few pounds. My wife very reluctantly agreed to the JRT, but is now in love with her - thinks it's her baby - which is fine with me. But she doesn't seem to be budging on the bulldog. I think she's afraid of it - also she *really* likes cuteness in a dog, and thinks another JRT would be good. It's silly, but I'm not going to coerce her or do it against her wishes (as the kids want me to do ... brats).

Her argument is it's too big - and it is a sort of larger middle-sized dog, almost what I'd call a large dog. To my mind:
<= 25 lbs small
25 < and <= ~60 medium
> 60 to 100 big
> 100 very big

I will say that while I consider him small, I think he definitely has the strength (but not the aggressiveness) of a larger dog.

To wifey I think anything bigger than 14 inches and 20 pounds is a big dog. Strange how we can use the same words to describe something and mean entirely different things.

She has a point. We do have a small house. The dog is large for the house. But not necessarily too large. We do regular walks and weekend dog park. JRT's are famously hyper, but ours is flourishing under this same regimen. She's very happy. She has no behavioral problems (gnawing furniture, fighting, biting, etc). I think we could make the bulldog a happy home, but I'm guessing it's not going to happen at this point.

Looks like the larger hounds are out, too. Currently we're considering bull terrier (don't see many of them in the shelters, though), boston terrier, fox terrier, another jrt. We expect to get a mixed breed, since we're adopting from shelters.

I'm very fond of poodles, too (and I would argue with you that they're at lest as smart as sheep dogs), but they often get attached to one family member to the exclusion of others. Don't want that.

We had a *LOT* of dogs growing up, and starting from about 14 I was the primary caregiver for some of them. Also, I had two jobs growing up: best paying was babysitting. There were ladies who wouldn't let anyone else watch their kids. But the work was spotty. My steady source of income, which payed less, but was more enjoyable was cleaning up dog poop and walking dogs - so I've had a fair chance to get familiar with breeds I've never owned. However, in retrospect, I think a lot of those dogs had the doggie equivalent of personality disorders. In particular there was an English bulldog I intensely hated, but I realize now what was going on with him. (Owners were nice to people, but were idiot dog owners.) Also had trouble with a norwegian elkhound (same root cause, imo).

Anyway, all things relating to canines are on my mind these days. While we do have preferred breeds, what we're really looking for is personality and good health.

thanks,
k

#140243 02/24/05 10:57 PM
D
D
"He is such a lover! He actually gives you hugs and doesn't want to let go."

Hmmmm.....

#140244 02/24/05 10:58 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Red would be Republican and blue Democratic, wouldn't they?

#140245 02/25/05 12:02 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Very interesting to read about these different breeds of coon hounds. Loved the warning about the howling trait! Baskervilles came to mind, of course!

Also, thanks for the url to the site.

Slight tangent: We're getting a puppy in four weeks, so it's good to have that site as a reference. We've only had full-grown dogs in the past, so this pup will be a new experience for us. Puppy school has been highly recommended by several friends.

#140246 02/25/05 03:58 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

"We're getting a puppy in four weeks, so it's good to have that site as a reference. We've only had full-grown dogs in the past, so this pup will be a new experience for us. Puppy school has been highly recommended by several friends."

What kind of puppy? I'm really glad to hear you say it. I was thinking about this for me and my kids. Training, I suspect, is at least as much for the owners as for the dog. Oddly, even though I have pretty extensive experience with dogs, I'm still considering taking a course. I see other people who really could use the training, but they won't even consider it. One of life's ironies.

Are you familiar with the television show "The Dog Whisperer?" It's pretty good. This guy trains "problem" dogs (and their owners). I highly recommend the show.
It's on the National Geographic Channel and Cesar Millan is the trainer. If you're not familiar, there's info here http://www.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/.

Good luck with your puppy!

k

#140247 02/25/05 04:11 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
In selecting our family dog, I used a book called The Right Dog for You, which assessed our family's resources, personalities, requirements and preferences, and showed the appropriate dog breeds with various physical and behavioral characteristics summarized in grids. We ended up with a Newfoundland, a lovely, gentle giant who tolerates our children beyond expectations.

I suggest that you get the book, or use a similar online service. Try this one:

http://www.poochpicker.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,374
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith