Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#139736 02/21/05 02:00 AM
T
veteran
veteran
T
If they are right about the date now, why were they wrong in 1967?
* It would be interesting to know what new dating method of the volcano deposit or what new interpretation of dating of the skulls themselves had led to the press release today.
But on the assumption that they did good science, several musements came to my mind...

The Skull People
* 200,000 years ago when the two skulls were buried in the volcanic ash , their species were 15,000 years into the penultimate Ice Age that gripped the Earth at the time and they had about 85,000 years of extreme conditions to endure before the Earth warmed back up again.

Very likely the People of the Skulls lived in isolated packs like dogs, and in gangs like gorillas, with an operative language of a about a hundred words or so that allowed them a functional transfer of information and smoothed interaction with other human packs that they would often encounter. A hundred words is not much verbal ammunition with which to chit-chat but they probably didn’t have that much to say as they were ignorant about far reaching things. They apparently didn’t know how to make a fire, and they likely couldn’t properly chip a flint.
But even in equatorial Ethiopia life is hard during an Ice Age; glaciers cover the high mountains and rainfall is greatly diminished and at night it gets bitter cold in the winter.
And the People of the Skulls’ gave a “ Hobson’s choice” answer to the harsh Age of Ice.
And that answer was to huddle around the Equator like the animals they were and wait it out.

Recent Ice Ages
* Recently, one billion years ago, the Earth was frozen completely. Almost. The seas were frozen solid to a depth over a mile and all lands were glaciated over by thousands of feet of ice and snow.
We don’t know how this came about, and worse, we don’t know how Earth warmed up, but we do have a name for this, we call it “Snowball Earth”. Snowball Earth was discovered by deep-time geologists only ten years ago. One day one of the rock chipping boys woke up and said “Hey ! All these rocks from one billion years ago to the beginning of the Cambrian Period have been glaciated. This, duh, means that the entire Earth was an ice ball for 400 million years!”
“Ha!” said his colleagues, “ Well then, Mister Smarty Pants, where did all the teaming billions of strange plants and animals come ? Where were they hiding during the time of ice?”

No one knew. Known as the “Cambrian Explosion”suddenly, 600 million years ago, without preamble, complex creatures suddenly appeared by the millions in the warm Cambrian seas and today we wonder from whence they came.
( I know, but that’s another story,)

After the Cambrian Event the world continued to get hotter. There were a few temperature regressions during the Ordovician indicating that the Ice caps were growing and sea level was falling but world temperatures quickly flopped back and sea levels rose and the Earth continued getting warmer and warmer. In the Devonian Period bugs and men followed the plants onto the dry continents and explored the land and munched on the plants and each other. Most of the bugs looked somewhat like the bugs we see today but the men back the didn’t much look like men they looked like lizards.
And the world kept getting warmer.

The Carboniferous period saw sea levels rise and fall often but with little evidence of cold weather to interrupt or advance the ever-so-slow march of evolution.
And except for a little episode at the end of Paleozoic called the “Big Kill” where 75% of all Families of plants and animals on the land and in the sea were dropped from the social register of the extant and the uncaring World just kept on getting hotter and hotter.
Until the end of the Cretaceous - the day the dinosaurs died; after theif unpleasant funeral the Earth has since gotten colder and colder with occasional interruptions interupting, continues this Earth destroying cooling trend to this very day.

Recent Ice Ages
* Yeah, I know I already said “Recent Ice Ages” but this time I mean it.
About 2 million yeas ago, some 500,000 yeas after the closing of the isthmus of Panama by the thoughtless actions of plate tectonics , the modern series of Ice Ages began. The first Glacial/Interglacial sequence was divided evenly in time; about 50/50 between periods of hot and periods of cold. Afterwards the cold periods sneakedly extended until about one million years ago a ten-to-one ratio had been reached between cold and hot, and this has become the pattern that we all live under now.

Humanoids
Sometime less than 5 million years ago, animals that can rightly be called “humanoids” (as opposed to apes) made a slight appearance in the fossil record. One of these humanoids begot us, we don’t know which. Well, to the devil with those distant relatives of ours who didn’t have the right stuff to make it through the trials and tribulations of the Ice ages... instead let’s talk about you and me.

Islands of Warmth within Vast Icy Seas and Physical Evolution and Social Evolution
* Two million ago years five varieties of humanoids set out from the first Interglacial to reach today. The hard road took its toll and soon (a million and a half years later ) there were only two groups left to try to complete the arduous journey - the cro-magnons and the neanderthals.
Of course these were not the same groups that started out - they were changlings.- creatures who had evolved beyond what they had been when they first set out. (Hey wait a minute...five groups started out and four groups died out and two are left...that makes six. Damn, that makes the Cro-magnons and the Neanderthals brothers. What a strange World.) The point here is that the pressures of the glacial periods force biological and cultural changes to evolve at faster rate than in the Garden of Eden state of the Interglacials . Interglacials are for manifesting that which the harshness of the Glacials imposed on social a

#139737 02/21/05 03:28 AM
D
D
It would be interesting to know what new dating method

"We used a dating technique called 40AR/39AR, which is a variant of potassium-argon dating."

Here’s a link to a National Geographic article that discusses Omo I and Omo II, from which the above quote was taken:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/02/0216_050216_omo.html

Hmmmm…. "What would Jesus do?"

Nope, I had better not.

But I want to. I really, really, want to, but I won’t.

Get thee behind me, Temptation!

#139738 02/21/05 10:47 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks, Dgeigh, for the link. The article was by far much more informative than the article that appeared in our local paper through AP.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
"subjunctive"

I like the subjunctive, and think its disuse is a loss in English.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
its disuse is a loss in English

Indeed… it’s so tiresome not being able to effectively discriminate between thou sattest and thou sat. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunctive

#139741 02/21/05 06:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W. Somerset Maugham said that "The subjunctive mood is in its death throes, and the best thing to do is to put it out of its misery as soon as possible."

But how then would Tevye sing:

"If I were a rich man
Daidle deedle daidle
Daidle daidle deedle daidle dum" ?

#139742 02/21/05 06:25 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"We used a dating technique called 40AR/39AR, which is a variant of potassium-argon dating."

Wasn't aware that you could date potassium-argon. Is she good looking and does she have a website?

#139743 02/21/05 06:30 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I read an article in the past year about those instances in which it is undesirable to use "if I were." There was an explanation that the subjunctive would be used in cases in which the speaker is speaking of improbability, but in other cases in which the action was probable or complete, the subjunctive should not be used. Interesting. Apparently I had over-learned the principle because I always favored 'if I were'; now my choice is filled with doubt and trepidation. Not really, but I do choose with care.

"If I was, in fact, in error, I wouldn't be standing here at this instant."

"If I were a millipede, my shoe bill would be through the roof."

But there are so many other applications of the subjective that go far beyond the 'if I were' construction.

#139744 02/21/05 08:23 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Humble apologies. I never intended to trigger off a discussion about linguistics ...

#139745 02/21/05 10:17 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Now what was I doing...oh yeah, I was setting up an elaborate analogy to craftily nuance the differences between the cultural evolution of the Cro-magnons and the physical evolution of the Neanderthals when I got cut off.
Sorry about that; it was late and I was singing and writing and drinking, and only God knows what method of madness I used to cut myself off.

Too bad, it was what you all most needed to know about the implications of the event, but it'll be in the news one day soon and you'll know then.

Anyway we'll skip that part and go straight to the conclusion...

130,000 years...200,000 years, so what?

Time, that,s what. The additional 70,000 years allows the Ethiopian skull caps to fit into a theoretical scheme with a time framework that makes good sense.
Now an African genesis for mankind can be strongly stated. And even better, one of the central problems of the African Exodus theory of mankind's spread about the globe is that the fossil record doesn't allow enough time for mankind divergence into today's three racial groups.
But the new dates from Ethiopia agree with a latter day Diaspora for the human race and this, when proved conclusively, will change our thinking about ourselves forever.

And now, by simple logic, I can proudly say that I can fix the time of the African dispersal within a few thousand years. Can you?

(If you had been listening you could.)

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith